SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA's Content

There have been 1000 items by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#96982 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 December 2006 - 05:01 PM in Homemades

Not bad, Meaker VI. My own work has been delayed until I can find a place that sells cheap brass. I need to make the shells first, and then work from there, since designs of the bolt, mag, and carrier are all dependant on the shell size. As for springs, I think Commonly Hunted used the spring out of one of those cheap plastic Bic mechanical pencils, but then again, I think his shells were PVC, so I'll need something more powerful...

#96972 Gears Of War

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 December 2006 - 01:26 PM in Off Topic

I should be getting

Pros:
+ New focus on taking cover and maneuvering rather than other run&gun games
Rainbow Six?

I really like it, but yeah they need to make the second one longer. Oh and not delay the release...

Where the hell did Rainbow Six? come from?

Anyway, I would think that the second one (this is a trilogy) would be longer because the designers are listening to the comments about their game. However, we can also play online until the second one comes out. As for the delay, the first one took ten years to make, but the second should take substantially less now that theyhave most of the old work done. (Weapons and characters are already programmed...)

#96957 Gears Of War

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 December 2006 - 10:11 AM in Off Topic

Oh, and one more thing; PLANETARY LASERS! Yes, the Resonator or "Hammer of Doom" allows you to bring down a strategic laser from an orbiting satellite to wreck havoc upon your enemies. Badass.

I think you mean the Hammer of Dawn.

As for the "sticking to walls" problem, I've had few instances where this was a nusiance and fewer times when it was fatal. Once you have insomnia for two nights playing Gears, you get to be a master of the control scheme.

#96869 Gears Of War

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 20 December 2006 - 07:25 PM in Off Topic

I should be getting XBox Live soon...

Gears of War:

Pros:
+ Chainsaw bayonet
+ Graphics that could make your eyes bleed if not properly prepared to witness them
+ New focus on taking cover and maneuvering rather than other run&gun games
+ Torque Bow
+ Active reloads
+ Intelligent AI
+ Great Co-op

Cons:
- Poor storyline
- The game is short
- General RAAM is a bitch on insane difficulty
- Narrow field of enemies to encounter
- Fairly linear gameplay
- Not as fun single-player

P.S.: The first level where you find a Torque Bow (the Imulsion Pumping Station), I picked up the bow and got headshots with it for the rest of the level.

#96832 Well... I'm Back!

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 19 December 2006 - 09:05 PM in General Nerf

And in a completely unrelated note, I JUST found the piece of Brass that I had lost! I'm going to try to make my first Brass-barreled gun very soon now...
~TCIND

Which gun might that be?

Also, excellent work on the LS, although the gun looks kind of strange without the carry rail. Look at the LS closely and honestly tell me it doesn't look like this. (Minus the chainsaw bayonet from hell...)

#96830 Gears Of War

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 19 December 2006 - 08:54 PM in Off Topic

I was wondering how many of you have played or plan on playing Gears of War for the XBox 360. I've had it for a couple weeks, and it kicks ass!

#96721 C.s.h.g.

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 17 December 2006 - 08:13 PM in Homemades

I think we all want to see this completed, but there is this thing called "Real Life" I don't know if you have heard of it or not, but it tends to take up large amounts of time.

I guess the same can be said for my shotty. Piney's been on my ass for taking 3 months to plan it out, but this is different... I hope that CS makes some kind of progress with slowing down that arthritis-like diagnosis soon.

A note to elf_avec_gun in his next post:
No need to be an ass. I was only trying to express sympathy for his position. Nowhere in this post did I ask him to hurry up with this project, nor even try to work on it now.

#96678 Nite Finder Problem

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 16 December 2006 - 05:34 PM in Modifications

It sounds like either your darts have loose seals with the barrels, so they don't stay in the barrel long enough for pressure to build up behind them, or your new barrels didn't get sealed onto the gun properly. There could also be a rupture somewhere inside the gun that occured when you were taking it apart.

#96677 Summer Of 07 East War (nj,ny,pa,ri,ma)

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 16 December 2006 - 05:29 PM in Nerf Wars

If you guys find a good location, this could very well be my first war. I live in DE, and it's a pain in the ass to drive more that 2.5 hours into Jersey, but if RAMBO and the rest of you show up, I might be able to arrange someone to drive me.

P.S.: Where's Apoc.? I keep hearing the name and not the location...

#96676 Christmas Clash Recap

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 16 December 2006 - 05:22 PM in Nerf Wars

Ryan, I have a huge ass mark on my face when your bb broke out of your stefan. That killed.

That must have hurt...

You guys look like you had fun, and you should do a who's who guide beneath the group pics (like the ones in newspapers, etc.).

#96638 Longshot Opinions

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 15 December 2006 - 08:55 PM in General Nerf

You can put BBB springs, NF-sized springs made from a heavy-gauge wire, or almost anything that's long enough in the LS. Pineapple has a sticky at the top of the mods page with an assload of mods for the LS, including Carrtoon's foundational spring replacement and air flow restrictor removals. Check it out.

#96629 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 15 December 2006 - 07:15 PM in Homemades

Ronster: I have the lego parts in a box somewhere, but you'll need to explain the white tabs. Are there springs between them, or do they just rotate with the black axle?

Piney:
This will be done. I take my time with this because I, like many of the others who frequent these forums, am not willing to waste money if I know that the design won't work. Once enough of the systems have been worked out, then I will assemble the whole gun. The parts that I know how to make will be under construction by Christmas break, and that much I can promise.

#96613 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 15 December 2006 - 03:55 PM in Homemades

Just curious...

Anyone set a timeline to actually get something done?

All I've seen so far are some drawings, some pictures of shotguns clipped from varying websites, some gibberish from howstuffoworks.com, and a whole lot of idea tossing, excuses for delays (school, etc.), and basically kind of running in circles on something that hasn't gone past a pen tube, spring, and nail.

It would just be nice to see something beyond posts after almost two months of chatting. Talio is back, so I won't even speculate on his opinion of such matters.

-Piney-

I was actually going out to get some materials for the plunger and bolt this weekend, and hopefully build the carrier assembly by Christmas break. (That "pen tube" was only a prototype, but it works pretty damn good.)

P.S.: I read the post Talio had on the homepage, and I'm in no hurry to piss him off. Expect something done from me soon...

#96525 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 14 December 2006 - 05:28 PM in Homemades

SHA: I was looking at the picture on that site for a long time while making my design, and the only problem I have now is that my bolt moves into the plunger tube (The plunger and the bolt have the same diameter, like in Bolt's NTS. The Bolt has a seal and the plunger has a seal; the plunger will also be floating, which was something Bolt was considering for the NTS). That makes relations between the bolt and the carrier difficult. My current plan for the carrier is pretty much like the thing Anders posted a few pages back from the buzzbee rifle.

My bolt will also move back into the plunger tube. The bolt will simply push the plunger back into a locked position when the grip is pulled back, since the grip is connected to the bolt.

#96385 Bbb Titan Integration

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 09:14 PM in Modifications

Great work, but I have a question: Isn't that thing kind of unwieldy? It could just be me, but the entire thing looks pretty damn big in the pic.

#96383 Confusing Christmas List.

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 09:09 PM in General Nerf

You'll shoot your eye out kid!!!

Who, me? I'm the best marksman in the state. (Which, for DE, isn't really saying much. This place is full of dumbasses.)

If you're looking for modifications, don't get a Longshot, the internals can be fragile.

Yeah, I noticed that from looking at all of the work on the mods post that Piney put up. If you cut or glue something wrong, then the gun is probably ruined.

#96367 Confusing Christmas List.

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 08:13 PM in General Nerf

You want a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle BB gun with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time.
Or a Longshot...

I already have an entire arsenal of BB, pellet, and airsoft guns in my room, so I think I'll just stick with some nerf guns on my wish list for right now...

#96366 How To Make Smoke Bombs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 08:06 PM in Off Topic

Uncle Hammer:
That's what I was thinking, but they don't have to be perfectly round or cylindrical, but close to it. My coffee-can idea works for paper and plastic fires, and should work with spheres and/or cylinders of this smoke bomb mixture. Unless you meant to just stick the stuff right in the ground...

puggy:
Trust me, coffee cans like Maxwell House's don't melt easy, even with the crazy shit I burn in them. Just keep the can ventilated and relatively clear of the ground for about 3 inches and it's fine.

#96360 How To Make Smoke Bombs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 07:46 PM in Off Topic

See Now... My mind doesn't think in school but when it comes to pyro shit I am a pro. If you could think of a way to put this in a plastic case that would be amazing.

Maybe you could think of a way to make it safe for nerf wars... Like throw it in the plastic case.... It explodes and then we start a nerf round in the smoke. Good job.

I second that pyro feeling. Anyway, you could probably make a handfull of 1.5" balls out of this stuff, drill a coffee can until it looks like a sieve, and put the smoke bombs in there. Stick a fuse or some kind of ingnition source for all of the smoke bombs, nail the can to a post or metal rod, stick the rod in the ground, and light. It would be safer because it wouldn't be burning with direct contact to the ground, has plenty of air flow, and would be made out of a fire-resistant material and not plastic. (Plastic like markers and milk jugs melt and turn to napalm when you put them in a paper fire. The plastic melts and KEEPS BURNING. It's freaking awesome.)

#96358 Confusing Christmas List.

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 07:40 PM in General Nerf

NerfMonkey is right, it's really up to your own personal taste. I was hoping for a Longshot, but every goddamned store in the country has already sold out for Christmas, and I don't trust some of the people on eBay, plus it's out of the budget that your parents set. I say eliminate what you don't like and what's too expensive, and then go from there.

#96356 My First Nerf Mod... Springs Help?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 07:31 PM in Modifications

I think someone mentioned using E-tape to get a better seal between the plunger and the tube, as well as plugging a small hole by the bolt. As for lubricant, I don't know that you need any, but you can check the threads again...

#96353 How To Make Smoke Bombs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 07:20 PM in Off Topic

This stuff would actually add an interesting aspect to the big wars like YANO and Armageddon. Those who have been to those wars should be able to decide on how useful or useless such a tactic would be.

#96352 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 December 2006 - 07:16 PM in Homemades

I'm following everything about the bolt and the mag tube on your design, Meaker VI, but the carrier description is kind of confusing. However, the pump is not usually directly attached to the carrier, rather the movements of the bolt influence the rising / falling of the carrier.

As for my own plans, I will probably copy the design for the carrier / bolt arrangement found here at howstuffworks.com. However, I will replace all of the bolt and firing pin arrangements with a plunger and bolt of boltsniper's design. I will also have a stock that is in line with the barrel to house the plunger and plunger tube as well. The shells will probably hold micro stefans and be made of 17/32" brass like boltsniper's as well.

#96292 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 11 December 2006 - 05:48 PM in Homemades

Orrrrrrrr, you could not spend billions of dollars on something thats not going to work and buy a nerf gun.

-Butt

Who said these won't work or that they're going to be that expensive? I haven't seen you contribute anything, and unless you're going to, then keep comments like this out of my thread. We get homemades to work by trying, and there's proof in the works of boltsniper and Carbon, and I've never seen anyone tell them that they should give up.

#96288 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 11 December 2006 - 04:47 PM in Homemades

It may be more work, but I think that the bolt is worth it compared to all of the work that you're going to have to do with the seals. Then again, the ideas that you have to solve the problems are creative, and should work if implemented properly. When you decide, tell us and maybe we can all contribute to the design.

Also, I am probably going to go hunting for some parts as well, hopefully within the week.

#96286 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 11 December 2006 - 04:32 PM in Homemades

I'm following the K.I.S.S. principle as much as I can. That way I can build confidence for more advanced stuff later.

It looks like you might need the confidence if you're not using a bolt. You'll need to be able to get the seal to be prefect with each shell and every reload if this concept is going to work. Another thing is that since you don't have a bolt, you can't have any kind of lockup that will ensure a seal until the grip is pulled back. Your design seems like you would have to hold the grip forward at all times for any seal between the shell, nozzle, and chamber walls to be formed. That's just too much work, and it makes it more realistic and practical to have a lockup and bolt. However, if you can get a model to work, then share how you did it. There could be some useful concepts in it for all of us.

#96255 Magstrike Paintjob

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 December 2006 - 08:58 PM in Modifications

I really like the paintjob but I do not like the golden part where it is "wrinkled".

I agree with nerfer34 about the wrinkled portion, but the rest of the gun looks pretty damn nice. Great work, munson20.

#96254 Hornet Trouble

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 December 2006 - 08:55 PM in Modifications

Despite the fact that air chambers like the blastfire are quite fragile, I found that these can take quite a beating from the barrel end, as that white disk seems to protect the valve itself... You actually want to VERY CAREFULLY drill these out.

According to what ompa advises, I don't think that there's any easy or practical way to repair the gun. I believe that the black plastic was part of the actual valve itself, and that ompa only drilled through the white disk to increase airflow. I could be wrong, but this is what I gather from ompa's mod page and some logical assumptions.

#96253 How To Make Smoke Bombs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 December 2006 - 08:45 PM in Off Topic

NOTE, don't try to cook an insane amount at once, we tried that and as I said it caught fire and we had to paint our walls, get a new stove, and replace the kichen floor.

That's why I don't try this kind of stuff in my house. I also saw this recipe on an episode of Mythbusters, and I've been dying to try this since then. I'm glad to know it works like this, 1) because I'm a pyro, and 2) because the Mythbusters version looked more like a flaming hockey puck that a smoke bomb. Someone tell me how a whole batch does when ignited all at once.

#96251 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 December 2006 - 08:36 PM in Homemades

I was going to use an extractor similar to what boltsniper used on his SCAR-N. I posted a pic of a prototype self-contained ejector a while back, probably on the top of the 6th page, and I was going to use a more powerful and updated prototype of that for the actual shell ejection system. (The new ejector can propel itself 85 cm far when released from 50cm high and parallel to the ground.) If you are using a rotating bolt lockup like I am, you'll also have to make sure that you align the ejector and extractor to be parallel to each other and the port on the side of the gun where the empty brass can be released. I also might go searching for some brass and PVC sizes next weekend at the town Lowe's. Let's hope I fand something so I can get back to you.

#96206 Need Help Planning

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 December 2006 - 10:16 AM in Homemades

A combustion pistol would not be dangerous, unless you were a complete idiot with it.

Apparently you've never been to Delaware...

Anyway, it might be best to attempt a spring-powered pistol first. That's just my own opinion, so do whatever floats your boat.

#96194 Cwc-mav And Bloodstaind Nf Paintjobs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 December 2006 - 10:46 PM in Modifications

Sinfil:
That squirrel looks kind of out-of-place in that position...

Forsaken_Angel24:
You have some...different artistic tastes, apparently.

I like the black Mav more, but the magazine might have looked better painted black with a red logo. Then again, the gun would be harder to take out in public... Either way, nice work.

#96192 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 December 2006 - 10:33 PM in Homemades

Commonly Hunted:
I was going to try for 100th post in my own forum, but that would merit reprocussions from Piney for double-posting. (Although this is technically the 100th reply.)

Back on topic:
I am working on a scale-dimension draft of my blueprints on a 2-D CAD program, so I will probably be done with almost all of my design work and detailing by the 17th, accounting for the time I need to take out for homework, school, and studying. I hope to see blueprints from as many other contributors to this topic as possible, so we can all build different, yet hopefully effective, models.

#96175 Nerf Emplacement Cannon 3

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 December 2006 - 06:58 PM in Homemades

If you can get the pressure behind the valve to a high enough level and still be functional, you could very well have a nerf howitzer in your garage. Maybe you should have a sabot-compatible barrel for multiple darts?

#96168 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 December 2006 - 04:57 PM in Homemades

Let's all take a minute and thank God that Meaker VI finally found the pic we were looking for. Now that that missing piece has been "revealed," it should be a simple matter to incorporate the part into the designs we have. All we have to do is figure out what to make the tab out of and how to attach it, and this project can finally get under way again.

P.S.: Flaming Hilt, your ramp could work, and if it is what you want to use in place of the carrier, go for it.

#96133 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 08 December 2006 - 08:30 PM in Homemades

I like the carrier assembly for my shotty better, especially because I already know how it would work and how I would integrate it into my design. I also like the tube mag below the barrel because it makes the design feel more like a conventional shotgun. This isn't to discredit any of your designs, because I think that they would work fine if you planned out all of the systems, but I seem to like sticking with my own plan. (I am also going to begin the carrier assembly this weekend, since I actually have some free time from all of my school projects.)

P.S.: I did see the Boomstick on the homemades directory.

#96088 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 December 2006 - 07:58 PM in Homemades

You ran into one of the same problems I did with the tube mag: how to stop the rest of the shells from popping out of the tube once one shell was already in the the carrier/chamber. I am still working on the solution, but the pics you put up here helped greatly with breaking the entire design down into more specific regions and systems.

#96029 Signature Length

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 06 December 2006 - 04:27 PM in Site Feedback

I think I read somewhere that sigs should be between 2-5 lines long, but if I find anything different, I'll give you a link.

#96026 Need Help Planning

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 06 December 2006 - 04:07 PM in Homemades

A combustion tank in a pistol? You could very easily wind up frying your gun, your dart, you, or rupturing something. It's theoretically possible, don't get me wrong, but it's not something that I would jump out of my seat for. Plus, like Guilo said, it would be expensive. It's probably better to make a spring pistol to start off with.

#95984 Signature Length

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 05 December 2006 - 07:34 PM in Site Feedback

cxwq has a thread here.