monkey with a nf's Content

There have been 107 items by monkey with a nf (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#116515 More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Springs

Posted by monkey with a nf on 20 July 2007 - 07:59 AM in Modifications

I'm really glad that someone finally posted something like this; I've been looking for a good replacement spring for a while, but can't find anything that's the right strength. This should help a lot.

#116457 Mod Difficulty

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 July 2007 - 05:41 PM in Modifications

I like this idea a lot, and it should really help people gauge difficulty. The applet is a nice touch, especially due to the rather complex averaging.

I do think that AR removal should be covered, but instead given a 1 for easy (MS), 2 for somewhat hard (NF), and 3 for hard (LS). This seems to rate it much better than pliers and dremel as designations, especially because I've never heard of a gun that required a dremel for AR removal.

#116416 Working On An Ls At2k Integration

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 July 2007 - 09:11 AM in Modifications

It looks like you have the AT2K tank resting on the bolt carrier, which would be a good way to keep it sealed, but I'm wondering how that will work with the trigger.

#116366 Powerlcip, Magstrike, Wildfire, Rapid Fire 20?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 July 2007 - 06:29 PM in General Nerf

As far as I can tell, the Magstrike is better than the Powerclip and the RF20 is better than the Wildfire, plus they're easier to find.

Magstrike:

Pros

-Max range around 90-100 (Forsaken_Angel's mod)

-Separate clips- easier to load

Cons

-No RoF selection

-40-50 pumps for 20 darts

-No semi-auto (even with e-tape, clips slip when you're running)

RF20:

Pros

-RoF selection

-Can be used as a semi-auto

-20-25 pumps for 20 darts

Cons

-No clips (I don't remember any clipping mods)

-Max range closer to 60ft.

-Somewhat harder to find (but not much)

#116120 M.p.c.bar (mass Producable Clipped Bolt Acton Rifle)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 July 2007 - 09:39 AM in Homemades

This looks really nice, I might also have to make one.

As for the darts not staying in the magazine, you might want to make some feedlips out of brass or PVC to keep the darts in. You would just need to make sure that they are larger than the bolt so it can slide through.

#115989 Clipped At2k

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 July 2007 - 03:28 PM in Modifications

When the tank is pressurized, the goo raises in the chamber, acting as a pressure gauge. Other than that, it's useless. It used to be popular to drain and seal it (supposedly to increase ranges), but cxwq showed it had no effect.

#115019 Long Range Records?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 08 July 2007 - 09:24 AM in General Nerf

Yes, it's technically incorrect. I think he was referring to the fact that an object with the drag coefficient and mass of a nerf dart has its air resistance increase faster than it's momentum once you start to hit the velocities required to fire it 200 ft (on a flat shot), which is sort of like terminal velocity.

#114884 Long Range Records?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 07 July 2007 - 09:40 AM in General Nerf

Bolts.niper's theoretical 200ft limit is only for standard weight, flat fired darts. Using heavier weights and an angled shot, you could get pretty much any range you wanted, assuming you had a strong and large enough tank, and a long enough barrel. Of course, then it's more like a small bore potato cannon than a nerf gun.

#114883 The Bbb

Posted by monkey with a nf on 07 July 2007 - 09:25 AM in Modifications

The stock allows him to brace it against his shoulder, increasing accuracy.

#112326 Longshot Clip

Posted by monkey with a nf on 21 June 2007 - 08:14 AM in Modifications

You don't have to use plastic sheeting. Forsaken_Angel used 1/8" brass tubing, if I remember correctly.

I think it helps to do this with short stefans and an Angel breech, just because short setfans will jam if they flip like in the stock breech. Of course, my 2 1/4" stefans have never flipped.

#112172 Important Dart Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 20 June 2007 - 12:01 PM in Modifications

1/2" Sch 40 PVC has an ID of 5/8". It fits mega stefans (made with 5/8" FBR) and stock micros (the kind with the suction cup, as well as the tag darts).

1/2" Sch 80 PVC has an I/D of a little over 1/2". It loosely fits micro stefans (made with 1/2" FBR), assuming you're using Forsaken_Angel's FBR.

1/2" CPVC has an I/D of just over 1/2". It tightly fits micro stefans.

Brass is usually used in the 17/32" and 9/16" sizes. The former is fairly tight, while the latter is fairly loose.

Copper is much the same, but it has fewer sizes. (I've never used it)

Therefore, Sch 40 PVC will not work very well with micro stefans, while Sch 80 will. It would not be the same as using brass, assuming you are using 17/32" or 9/16" (which is what people will usually mean when they say brass.)

Edit: CPVC is a form of PVC. It is tan instead of white, and is smaller. The only size I have ever seen used for nerf (or seen period) is 1/2".

#112024 Zxnam's Cpvc Night Finder System

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 June 2007 - 04:13 PM in Modifications

So the barrel in the laser connects to the coupler? I've seen SSPB's in that position, but never another barrel.

#111902 A Realy Simple Home Made

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 June 2007 - 06:17 PM in Homemades

I think the idea is to make it easier to open; ball valves take a fair amount of force.

#111744 Supermaxx 3000(yellow) Modification

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 June 2007 - 03:44 PM in Modifications

Nice and descriptive. My only question is, why didn't you use stefan micros? They would probably improve your range by 10-20 ft.

#111620 The Search Function

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 June 2007 - 04:25 PM in General Nerf

This is very nice. Now, we have somewhere (besides the mods directory) to point noobs who ask "how do u mod a nf?????".

#111575 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 June 2007 - 06:49 AM in Homemades

Thanks for the help. Now I just need some endcaps and washers.

#111526 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 15 June 2007 - 07:49 PM in Homemades

Do you know what wire size/ coil distance they are? I might be able to compare.

#111513 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 15 June 2007 - 06:55 PM in Homemades

What size spring do you use for homemades? I am currently using McMaster part 9637K26(same as KBarker's NF rifle mod) for my SNAP 1.5. It has a wire thickness of .08, with the coils spaced about 1/4" apart, and fits perfectly over 1/2" CPVC. The spring is 9" long, and the SNAP has a draw of 5".

However, I'm a bit worried that it's too strong. In addition to requiring quite a bit of force to draw, it has so far shot off the reducing bushing (before I screwed it down), the coupler/bushing assembly (before gluing it), and then the coupler/bushing again, as well as breaking the back endcap on the plunger head (which had, in retrospect, been sanded down too much). Note that there is no forward endcap on the plunger, as I don't have the right washers for the seal. Am I doing something wrong? Please help, as I don't want to have this thing blow up in my face...

#111244 Strap Ammo Holster

Posted by monkey with a nf on 14 June 2007 - 04:12 PM in Modifications

Try 1/2" ID vinyl tubing. It's really cheap (less then even CPVC) and has just the right amount of friction with the darts.

#110759 Titan Ars

Posted by monkey with a nf on 11 June 2007 - 06:26 PM in Modifications

Couldn't you have just read the replies and not posted the explination?

Also, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean using the tubing from the Hornet as a coupling for the titan/magstrike tubing, or as an insert?

#110664 Couplered Big Blast

Posted by monkey with a nf on 11 June 2007 - 06:44 AM in Modifications

To find the ideal barrel length for anything, use the following formula:

Air volume(plunger tube volume, or in this case, pump volume times number of pumps) * constant/(radius of barrel^2) , where the constant is a number between 3-4, depending on how tight your barrel is.

EDIT: Clarification

#110662 Stock Ls Breech Petg Barrel Addition

Posted by monkey with a nf on 11 June 2007 - 06:38 AM in Modifications

Wait- why did you keep the dart tooth in? It will just make you lose air and push your dart into the bolt, where it can jam on the bolt/barrel connection.

#110306 Speedloader Mod

Posted by monkey with a nf on 09 June 2007 - 08:36 PM in Modifications

Probably, but it would defeat the point. It's pretty much a different-looking NF if you single it.

#110290 Pvc And Cpvc Help!

Posted by monkey with a nf on 09 June 2007 - 07:26 PM in General Nerf

PVC is measured by ID, but there isn't necessarily a correlation between the fractional and real measurements- 1/2" PVC is actually 5/8", while 1/2" CPVC is just over 1/2", etc... I have heard of people making PVC breeches with repair couplings, though I prefer to just make brass breeches.

EDIT: As for the last question, I think you're stuck unless you have a lathe- in my experience, PVC doesn't start to nest until 1" and 1u1/4".

#109161 Nf Coupler Mod Question?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 June 2007 - 01:17 PM in Modifications

I don't know about a specific mod, but I would glue the coupler to the orange piece at the end of the plunger, after getting rid of the original barrel and the restrictor. You would just have to dremel/sand out the front of the casing to make it fit.

EDIT: Whoops, CS posted while I was typing.

#108730 Is It Me?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 June 2007 - 06:48 AM in General Nerf

My impression was that the LS is bad stock. Unmodified, it can jam, has low power and horrible accuracy. With an angel breech, or just barrel replacement, it gets much better (X-bow like power).

#107631 Sonic Air Bazooka Mod Writeup

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 May 2007 - 08:03 AM in Modifications

Are you sure that the plug is airtight? I can't imagine how the pump would work if it was sealed as you say, because there would be no way for air to flow in front of the o-ring when the pump is pulled out.

#106092 Humpty Dumpty

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 May 2007 - 07:17 AM in Modifications

That is really amazing. It looks like you could get off twelve shots in a few seconds, assuming the hornet works the same a a Big Salvo with more barrels, which I'm not sure of. Can it fire in semi-auto? Or only all at once? Or both?

#106091 Bbb Mod Write Up

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 May 2007 - 07:10 AM in Modifications

What do you mean by that? The breech allows you to put the darts in your barrel, not the PVC sabilizer.

As for a magazine, a rotating breech won't work (at least not in my experience). You might want to try something like the breech FA did on his ABBB.

#105088 Wooden Buttstock(s)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 May 2007 - 10:27 AM in Homemades

Actually, I think it looks more like a PPSh-41 than a Thompson, just because of the drum mag...

Also, if the stock was screwed onto the LS body, would it really matter how strong it was? You'd just have to be careful with it during installation.

#103550 Need Help For Air Tank Clip Fed Bolt Action Gun

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 May 2007 - 05:45 AM in Homemades

I'm actually designing something similar (here), though it's not designed to look like the SMG. I plan on using this valve and this pump.

The dart will only fishtail if there is too much air delivery. Therefore, you want the tank (when pressurized) to have around 3-4 times the barrel volume in air. Of course, a small barrel also reduces the range and accuracy.

And that thread on airtanks was meant to show how to make a large backpack airtank, not something contained in a gun (because there's no valve system).

#103469 Questions On Tank Pressure

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 May 2007 - 07:54 PM in Homemades

I am attempting to build a magazine-fed pneumatic homemade, similar to(it actually started as) Flaming Hilt's version of the SOBR-P. As such, I am basing the tank off of an AT3K tank. I found that for every 1 cubic inch of airtank volume, something pressurized the same as an AT3K with four pumps has about 3.32 cubic inches of air. I have no idea how this translates to PSI, though I assume that it is below the limit of schedule 40 PVC.

When I run through the calculations, I find that the ideal length of 3/4" PVC for the optimum air volume for 12" 17/36" brass is about 5", but at the pressure I plan to use it should be about 1.5". Therefore, this is my planned tank volume (I'm using 3/4" because this is what I'm using as a valve). Does this all seem right? I'm trying to both have this get the approximate range and accuracy of a singled AT3K, and not have it blow up in my hands.

#103395 Lbb Leak

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 May 2007 - 03:44 PM in Modifications

Wait, do you mean that the actual barrel itself is cracked, or that there is a leak in a place blocked by the barrel? Either way, you might as well just saw off the barrel to fix the leak and add a replacement barrel (I'd choose brass). As for the valve, I would check for any cracks there when the barrel is off.

#103190 The Viper

Posted by monkey with a nf on 30 April 2007 - 04:19 PM in Homemades

I'm fairly new here, but my impression is that only ideas without any kind of basic plan are disliked. For example, posting "it'd be cool if you had a semi-auto mav!!" would not be okay, but this is.

I don't know enough about air powered homemades to answer most of your questions, but you might want to do something like the semi-auto valve in the homemades section here. It'd be cheaper than spending a bunch of money on solenoids.

#102348 Longshot Mag Clamps

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 April 2007 - 06:41 AM in Homemades

There was, at one point, a suggestion to CS to make his proposed custom longshot mags have linking studs on them like SIG 500 magazines, but that went dow the drain to complexity and the arrival of replacement magazines.

#101807 Bbb Breach Barrell Dilema- Help Is Appreciated

Posted by monkey with a nf on 04 April 2007 - 09:32 AM in Modifications

The only thing that you have to watch out for with audiotape casettes is that some (at least the ones I've tried) are narrower on one side, which hampers sprung magazines and kill gravity-fed ones. I think it might just be easier to make it out of balsa, or use something else.

#101723 Some Lbb Troubles

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 April 2007 - 08:44 PM in Modifications

As he said, the plastic trigger is pretty weak. It broke off in mine, and I had to glue it on again. You should be fine with reinforcing it somehow.

Also, isn't the Big Blast identical in terms of internals? My impression was that the trigger mech is the same. Of course, the plastic could just be stronger in it.

#101654 Barrel Material Couplings And Nestings

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 April 2007 - 02:09 PM in Modifications

1 step apart brass sizes nest perfectly into each other (they are spaced by 1/32", and have a wall thickness of 1/64"), at least with K&S brass. However, with PVC, can anyone fit sucessive sizes within each other? The SCAR-N bolt, for example, is 1/2", but slides in 3/4" (I think). However, I can't get PVC/CPVC to nest, even using thinwall.

Also, 19/32" brass fits perfectly into 1/2" PVC.

#100928 Brassing A Dtg

Posted by monkey with a nf on 08 March 2007 - 04:59 PM in Modifications

The plunger only puts out enough air for about 2 1/2" of 1/2' or so tubing anyway, so you should be fine with 2" barrels for stock darts.

#100028 Air Tech 3000 In A Ls

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 February 2007 - 10:08 PM in Modifications

Shadow Hunter:
The intetion wasn't to make an air-powered LS, the intention was to make an air-powered asshole rifle. I just like how comfterable the case is to use.

navy seal:
I don't want to use a pump action kit; the point of putting the pump in the bolt was to keep the bipod, and possibly integrate the front gun. Also, the one I ordered is for when I get around to buying another LS. The reason the tubing is ouside the shell is because the stupid At3k parts have the tubing coming out at right angles. This was the only way I could make it fit. The jam door isn't on because 1) it won't fit on because of where the tank is and 2) it's easier to line up the barrel with the coulpler when there isn't a jam door.

EDIT: The board interperated B ) as a smiley.