Zorns Lemma's Content

There have been 1000 items by Zorns Lemma (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#340408 Rainbow Pistol Write Up

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 15 July 2014 - 09:19 PM in Homemades

If you are using the "share on forums / BBCode" feature of Flickr, I'm not sure there is a way to disable the attribution. The best way is to manually delete that stuff as you paste it in.

I just cleaned up your OP in bulk by matching this following regex pattern:
\[url=https\://flic.kr/p/\w*+]\w[^,]*+, on Flickr

and replacing all instances of it with a null character.

The only assumption this pattern makes is that your Flickr image names all start with an alphanumeric character, and do not contain a comma. If your images did in fact contain commas then I would have to replace the very efficient possessive tail pattern [^,]*+, on Flickr with something like .*?, on Flickr which would still fail if any of your image titles contained the phrase ", on Flickr"

#340377 Buzz Bee Air Max 6 Paintjob Help

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 15 July 2014 - 02:23 AM in General Nerf

Post this in the Mods/Paint thread. Look through there for color ideas or consult any internet guide on using a color wheel.

At least you made an effort here so I'll spare you the mocking red text.

Code of Conduct
Think Before You Post.
Don't post unless you have something to say.

"Dont"s:

• DO NOT Post a 'which is best' thread, a 'what mods should I do to my [blaster]' thread, etc. Read the forums, make your own decision.

#340346 ESLT 1.5 Build Guide

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 14 July 2014 - 12:11 AM in Homemades

Edit: Settings of the camera used in the firing video? I find it interesting that you can see the darts firing.

I believe it is a Canon T?i which shoots 50/60 fps. In addition, the darts are coated in corn starch to help them feed which gives a visible trail.

#340345 Got some Titan internals, what should I do with them?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 14 July 2014 - 12:07 AM in Modifications

"What should I do" threads are explicitly forbidden in the New Members Guide to interpreting the Code of Conduct.

#340344 Jumbo vs Mega Stefans

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 13 July 2014 - 11:59 PM in Darts and Barrels

The disadvantages to large ammo is the cost (you make less darts per $) and bulk (you can carry less darts per round).

As long as your blaster can propel it at equal velocities, large ammo is pretty much better in all other ways at a NIC war, since it is less affected by wind and more stable in flight leading to greater precision.

For indoor or otherwise non-NIC wars, you might be better served with stock large ammo because the greater mass that lends to the above advantages means safety concerns and property damage concerns if you're making oversized slingshot domes or slugs. Oversized silicone domes might be an option but then it is quite costly.

#340281 Nerf N-Strike Elite 2014 Line

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 12 July 2014 - 04:09 PM in General Nerf

Threads about unreleased blasters are explicitly prohibited per the New Members Guide. Talk about it on Facebook or Reddit because those places are conducive to high volumes of low quality content. The aim of Nerfhaven is to be a venue for a low volume of high quality content.

In that vein, let's keep discussions about foam blasters and not global economy.

#340276 2k pump replacement

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 12 July 2014 - 01:28 PM in Modifications

You can plug the end with an appropriate piece of plumbing and route your own tubing and check valve.

#340102 Question about Lubricants

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 06 July 2014 - 04:04 PM in Modifications

What color is the lubricant? The only white/clear ones I know of are either PTFE or Silicone, in which case you can test the difference with solubility (dry silicone lubricant is soluble in wet silicone lubricant).

Unfortunately, we don't really have experience here testing between types and more so just finding the most convenient ones to use that are plastic/rubber safe.

#340100 LS Help

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 06 July 2014 - 03:49 PM in Modifications

Help threads without pictures are terrible, because it is impossible for us to help you, and if you do manage to solve the issue, it is impossible for anyone else reading the thread later to figure out how to fix it themselves.

In addition, there have been a million help threads regarding longshots not working. You should do a forum search and read up on the old literature. I can give a 3-sigma guarantee that your problem has been previously solved.

#340098 ESLT 1.5 Build Guide

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 06 July 2014 - 03:41 PM in Homemades

Oh yeah...how the hell did you break the swing x wye? That's injection molded PVC, yo. It's like when I hear people break pvc wyes in half. How the fuck is that possible.

The swing nipple seems like a weak point on the part where if you apply a sharp force to it from the side it can break really cleanly.

I don't think this is a problem with the new 3d printed air redirects, or if you choose to Nerf in a pattycake region where you can stand still and hose people all day.

#340050 New Blasters

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 05 July 2014 - 05:27 PM in General Nerf

No.

#339979 Elite dart accuracy modifiactions

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 03 July 2014 - 07:52 PM in Darts and Barrels

Foam projectiles are weight stabilized. The heavier you can make the tip of your dart the more stable it will fly. In the prime of foam flinging we were plopping 3/8" steel ball bearings on top of 1/2" foam and then covering that with a very aerodynamic dome of hot glue. This was expensive, tedious, and unnecessarily unsafe to your recipients.

The two suggestions given are ways to apply those principles to store bought Nerf streamlines. The hot glue method is more primitive: easier to do, but you'll end up with a projectile that doesn't perform much better while delivering more kinetic energy to the target on impact (they hurt more).

#339964 Apocalypse 2014

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 03 July 2014 - 11:50 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be basically living at Newark EWR on 7/30 and 7/31 so consider me confirmed for this war.

#339917 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 01 July 2014 - 05:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Those are dope photos! Can I get permission from you to use some of them in a video or two or mine, as well as post them on my blog when I get up a Geddon recap post? Of course, I'll be sure to give you credit.

No problem. You can also modify them (crop them / add logos) as long as you distribute under the same license: https://creativecomm...nses/by-sa/2.0/

#339892 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 01 July 2014 - 12:06 AM in Nerf Wars

My photos of the war are up: https://www.flickr.c...57644993525349/

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get individual shots of everyone at the war. Additionally, JLego somehow made a disproportionate number of these.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, who is this mysterious person that didn't do any nerfing at all, no sir?
Posted Image

#339764 SPANO 2014 (Minnesota)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 June 2014 - 10:40 PM in Nerf Wars

I don't remember, but were those vests freebies that (Velveeta?) picked up somewhere? Or is there a magic store that sells them?

We looked into using vests instead of flagging tape for Geddon to save on waste but vests are not free while tape is free.

#339697 NERF Magnus: AR, locks, springs

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 22 June 2014 - 12:42 PM in Modifications

Both of you guys can go in the time out corner now.

Feel free to repost this thread, when your pictures aren't from 2002 (protip: you need more lighting so that way your phone doesn't auto-select ISO electronic-noise-everywhere and a shutter speed slower than your heroin-induced hand tremors).

#339615 Telescoping Plunger Tube Blaster (TPB)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 16 June 2014 - 09:11 PM in Homemades

You should begin the writeup with an overview of the blaster and its operation, followed by a part build of the major components, grouped in order of how important each component is (aka the plunger rod is what almost everyone puts first, but is in fact one of the things that matter least).

This makes these weird tube blasters much easier to understand as each piece now has a context. This was a mistake I made in almost all of my writeups, realizing only now as everyone else's is quite inscrutable.

#339500 titian barrel size

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 11 June 2014 - 11:04 PM in Darts and Barrels

I moved your thread to the appropriate section.

Please note that capitalization is mandatory on these forums per the Code of Conduct.

#339434 Mayhem 3.5

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 08 June 2014 - 11:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Going to do my best to make it out to this one

#339100 EAT seal idea

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 22 May 2014 - 02:16 PM in Modifications

Please clean up your posting. This is not Facebook where you throw out random ideas and ask if something's been done or could be done. Read the New Members Guide and Code of Conduct.

#338841 SPANO 2014 (Minnesota)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 09 May 2014 - 11:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Looks like I'm out this year. 21st is Geddon and the 14th I think I'm in Michigan on business :(

#338744 Bolt Action BBB

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 06 May 2014 - 10:03 PM in Modifications

I would advise people not to do this. Removing the fins from the 3B forces you to put a bolt through that rear section to prime the blaster.

You've effectively removed the biggest benefit of the 3B and turned it into a huge flying piece of liability.

#338654 Nerf Centurion - Streamline/elite conversion

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 04 May 2014 - 01:15 AM in Modifications

Where can I buy one of these? I really want one

Yep, they're for sale right now.
http://www.blasterpa...-centurion.html

On topic; this is pretty neat. Someone's going to have to build an Angle Breech for this.
It's not cheap, but it's kinda cool.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Necro

#338606 Coloring/Painting Darts?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 01 May 2014 - 08:54 PM in Darts and Barrels

That looks like a workable solution.

What we always did in the Midwest to mark our darts was to just put them all into a shoebox backside-up, and blast them with spray paint. I can't find a very good picture of our setup, but it ends up looking like what Liska posted (while taking no time at all to do).

There's probably a photo in Ryan or Zeke's photobucket deep in there.

Here's a video of how they look:

DISADVANTAGE: While slugs stack nicely in a box for you to spray the back of them, dome darts are more difficult and tend to slide around in the box. Also if you get paint on the tips they will have even a harder time feeding.

BIGGER DISADVANTAGE: Painting the backs of these darts is nice and fast, but because foam is porous, most of the paint sticks to iteself rather than the foam which means every time you fire a dart -- or even jostle it in a bag -- a bit of it will flake off and turn into spray paint dust ruining bags, hands, barrels, and plunger tubes.

#338360 First home made tips

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 20 April 2014 - 09:20 PM in Homemades

Good try in your post, but the negative response you've received here is because NerfHaven strives to be a place where each post is as meaningful as possible, even to the extend of having less activity as long as the quality is higher. Check out the recommendations in the New Members Guide.

Good luck with your membership here.

#338326 Air Max 10

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 19 April 2014 - 08:47 PM in Modifications

Makes sense. Thanks for the great explanation.

My experience with directional control valves has always had the check valve close to the pressure intake, so I never ran into that issue where the blue section is meaningful volume requiring another dump valve.

How does the RPRV work? From searching around it seems that you have to manually press a button for it to vent to atmosphere. Is there a way to perhaps trigger the venting automatically?

#338325 What Happened to NerfRev?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 19 April 2014 - 08:40 PM in General Nerf

NerfHQ seems to also be RIP'd.

Looks out our elitist circlejerking wins the test of time!

#338298 Air Max 10

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 18 April 2014 - 09:51 PM in Modifications

So if I am to understand correctly, the point of the RPRV is to act as an additional pilot valve to vent the valve in the tank faster, so it will release more of the air in the tank at once?

#338259 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 16 April 2014 - 02:14 AM in General Nerf

This is cool. Best of luck to you guys.

#338118 Maverick Range Issues

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 08 April 2014 - 01:31 AM in Modifications

90% of modding a Maverick to perform well is to get lucky and find a Maverick that doesn't suck total ass to start with.

I've played with a ton of Mavericks and the best you can do is try to improve the seal with some plastic sheeting (such as with the tri-revolver Mavericks) and upgrade the spring. The straw mod is of questionable efficacy.

#338117 What mods should I do on my Nerf elite aplha trooper cs 12

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 08 April 2014 - 01:24 AM in General Nerf

This thread is going nowhere fast and is exactly why we disallow "what mod should I do" threads.

#337782 Nerf Repair Experts?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 28 March 2014 - 12:52 AM in General Nerf

Opening any of my Nerf guns makes me really nervous. I'm always afraid I'll lose something or put something back wrong.

If your profile detail is correct, from your geographic location it should be very easy to procure cheap blasters like Nitefinders to mess around with. There's nothing that teaches more than going out there and messing with things and learning hands-on.

I'm too lazy to search for this stuff now, but when I first joined the hobby most of my stuff was pretty much garbage.

#337781 Elite Suction Cup Mod

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 28 March 2014 - 12:47 AM in Darts and Barrels

I'm pretty sure you're talking about precision: http://nerfhaven.com...ndpost&p=336339

I hate to be a pedant, because now I'm in the same category as Bob, but when we're trying to empirically assess dart performance so it isn't just confirmation bias everywhere, using the empirically relevant terminology is very helpful, especially because both accuracy and precision are problems with Nerf (accuracy mostly being a problem with barrel wobble, hence the various designs to anchor the barrel to the blaster body).

#337779 Question about airgun fittings

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 28 March 2014 - 12:40 AM in General Nerf

I would advise using a blend of push-to-connect fittings for maintenance convenience and barbed fittings for frugality.

#337725 Elite Suction Cup Mod

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 27 March 2014 - 01:52 AM in Darts and Barrels

How did you determine that the new suction cup darts are more precise than elite streamlines? Are the new suction up heads much more massive?

My anecdotal non-scientific heirarchy goes seomthing like: elite streamlines > dart tag > suction cup > non-elite streamline

#337654 Nerf Repair Experts?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 March 2014 - 10:35 PM in General Nerf

The cost of getting it repaired is probably equal or more than that of buying a new one, which is why there is no market for "Nerf repairers"

#337465 NH Mobile Site

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 09 March 2014 - 05:13 PM in Site Feedback

Actually no, I've been visiting NH on my tablet for a little under a year. Only recently, about a week before I made this post, has the Mobile site been popping up. Thus my confusion and erroneously thinking the mobile site was new.

Its possible that tablet Safari or Chrome (w/e tablet you use) didn't trigger the mobile identification until recently. I think iOS safari will always do it so my guess is that you're on Android. If you're not then I have no idea why you just started seeing the mobile site, but as you've seen it's pretty easy to dismiss

#337449 NH Mobile Site

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 07 March 2014 - 02:53 AM in Site Feedback

Out of curiosity, did you just start using the site on your mobile device? I've been seeing a mobile site as of about 2 years ago or so.

#336981 The BullShit

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 10 February 2014 - 08:07 PM in Homemades

The larger the surface area, the more friction, so, not be be a butt, I was correct.

1. Friction along the contact between the plunger head and the plunger tube increases linearly with diameter, not exponentially.
2. Friction does not exist along the surface of the plunger head except
2a) when you consider heat loss from gas compression as a form of pressure in which case
2b) it still only increases quadraticly with diameter and, again, not exponentially. Which leaves only the case of
3. That you feel quadratic growth is almost the same as exponential growth, in which case you might try counting on your hands past the number "two" (Hint: "three" comes next).

So, not to be a butt, but your butt if full of the metaphorical human manure of false smugness.