Vinnie D's Content

There have been 97 items by Vinnie D (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#218750 Nf Ss

Posted by Vinnie D on 19 March 2009 - 06:19 AM in Modifications

I agree that it's probably better to put the SSPB in the space where the light goes, but this same concept might work on other handguns which just have empty handguns and no space under the barrel, such as the maverick, though I see what you're going for is to get it to fire as much like a trigger as possible and have a pump in the handle. You could probably use the same concept from the pistol style mod, to move the barrel up into the undercarriage of the gun with some tubing, while keeping the body and trigger of the SSPB in the same place, that way you could get the best of both worlds.

Alternately I could see evil ways of using this configuration. Raising your gun as if to surrender then firing from the handle. It would be a bastard move yes, but a magnificent bastard move.

#218749 The Use Of Duct Tape In Nerfing...

Posted by Vinnie D on 19 March 2009 - 06:14 AM in Modifications

It's really just a question of how careful you are in handling it. Go a little bit at a time and make sure you make good edges. You want to leave some space in there around the gun (less for the clip) so you can quickly draw it. I suppose it's a question of how you think though. Measuring is great for people who have a head for numbers. I'm more of a tactile kind of thinker though, so I like working more directly with the gun.

But it's good to have info on both methods, since there are both numeric and tactile thinkers out there. Thankfully Duck tape is a friendly medium for both.

#218692 Singled Recon?

Posted by Vinnie D on 18 March 2009 - 08:53 PM in Modifications

If you're going to single something, single the longshot. The Recon's strength is its clip feed mechanism, allowing for high rate of fire, and faster reloading. The whole reason people hate the Recon is they keep trying to make it a primary, and a primary it is not. It's a pistol, a secondary. It out ranges the Maverick, and reloads faster, that's its strength.

To single it would destroy its only real value. You CAN do it if you want to, but the only reason to do it would be entirely out of experimentation to see if it can be done.

If you do want to use the recon build yourself a holster, get a second clip, consider making a hi-cap clip, remove the locks and safeties, put a second spring in the catch, and work on improving reliability rather than range. It's one of those guns you have to come at from a different angle. If you just think of range mods you'll be doing yourself a disservice.

#217583 Assassin

Posted by Vinnie D on 12 March 2009 - 02:57 AM in General Nerf

The only way I've seen it organized is a free for all. Everyone pools some money, then go about your life. If you encounter another player shoot them. Witnesses must be present. You can't go to their house/appartment/dorm to do it, you can't do it in class (if done on a campus) or in the hall immediately coming from or going to class. Anywhere else is free. Typically at work is off limits too, but it's usually organized on a college campus anyway so unless they have an on campus job it's rare you'd find them at work.

Typical rules require a shot to the body. Limb, gun, and grazing don't count. Face is off limits. It can be played with nerf or water. I prefer nerf because these days you don't want to hit someone's iPod and end up owing them a bunch of money.

#217424 The Use Of Duct Tape In Nerfing...

Posted by Vinnie D on 11 March 2009 - 01:19 AM in Modifications

Yeah I use the same method (sticky out then sticky in) to make stuff. Thanks to this thread I whipped up a nice new holster for my recon (my side arm of choice).

And actually it is Duck Tape now. The company that makes it changed the name a few years back. It was never good for duct work anyway. Though I believe Duct tape would be the name most generic brands would use. I should be more observant when buying.

#215702 The Use Of Duct Tape In Nerfing...

Posted by Vinnie D on 01 March 2009 - 05:24 AM in Modifications

Nice job. I built a similar holster myself, but it didn't occur to me to use colored ductape to get that nice leather look. Maybe it's due for an extra layer.

#212367 Intense Indoors Recon.

Posted by Vinnie D on 15 February 2009 - 02:34 AM in Modifications

Good idea. I was thinking of the same thing but wouldn't work without singling, but since you're doing a single it should work. The closer the dart is to the back of the plunger after all, the more of that air is working on the dart.

The powerstock by the way, you can do with nothing but hot glue, and a nitefinder. The NF spring and tube are the perfect size to do a powerstock. If you have the new short plungered maverick you wouldn't even need to cut the middle of the stock. Just hot glue the back of the NF tube to the mid section, drop the spring in and you're done. You might want to poke a hole in the back of the NF tube to keep any vaccume force from holding you back, since it's going to be a very exact fit.

#212366 What Guns Do You Use?

Posted by Vinnie D on 15 February 2009 - 02:27 AM in General Nerf

Right now I like using my Big Bad Bow, singled with a breech, nitefinder in the front handle, and a pocket blaster integrated into the nitefinder, lastly a Switch shot in the scope, with a reinforced recon stock on the back. I call it the Hydra. Yes it's a bunch of guns slapped on a BBB but it's pretty effective.

For a secondary I use a recon stripped down to the pistol. A nice clean clip fed sidearm, you can't beat the recon.

For indoor, I'm working on a longshot as a primary, but it's still incomplete. Until then, the same recon with a powerstock, is my primary with a maverick as a sidearm.

#212150 Intense Indoors Recon.

Posted by Vinnie D on 14 February 2009 - 03:16 AM in Modifications

That's not bad, but if you're going to single it you might as well go all the way on power mods. Compress the original spring with a bit of E tape and you can get a little more power out of it. If you're willing to give up your alternate cocking mechanism you could powerstock it too. Or alternately given the mod you made it might now be possible to bungee it.

Drew, Same goes for any mod. If you increase the power you need to pad the end of the plunger. I use a bit of hot glue and a soft felt pad. It also makes it much quieter. Even still don't dry fire it once you've taken out the AR I think that recon could potentially be stronger. Mine's not singled and it reliably gets 50 feet or more.

Nice mod Bonzipon. I know it's a much maligned gun, but I do love the recon. As a clip fed handgun it makes a great secondary, if you put the time into modding it, and I always see new mods popping up for it. It seems to lend its self to originality.

#211370 Has A New Dart Gun Been Secretly Released?

Posted by Vinnie D on 11 February 2009 - 06:22 AM in General Nerf

Those have been around since just after Christmas. The Reflex also comes in a 6 pack for $30, so this pack isn't a very good deal unless you also want the target (which does look better than the old green one). That eliminator game is the same gun as the Reflex with a different shell. The reflex has a utility rail, the Eliminator doesn't.

I think you can also order either one in singles from Hasbro's website.

#211369 New Recon

Posted by Vinnie D on 11 February 2009 - 06:17 AM in General Nerf

In my experience I've found that 1/2" FBR is just slightly more narrow than Streamlined darts, so the spring in the clip tends to push them up through the top causing jams in the recon. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen and it's quite annoying. You could try some slightly thicker FBR and stretching it, or what I did (before just giving up and going back to streamlines with hot glue in the heads) which was make cigars (steffans wrapped in a layer of E tape) giving them just a slightly bit more thickness.

Though making cigars seems to pretty well make your steffans incompatible with CPVC barrels. Though I'm not very good at making the things, so maybe you'll have better lack than I did.

#206136 Nite Wiinder

Posted by Vinnie D on 25 January 2009 - 05:37 AM in Modifications

You know I hear conflicting accounts. Some say the Switch Shot AR is very difficult to remove but My own I was able to break out with just my hands. I slipped in an extra maverick spring, plugged the hole, and CPVCed it, integrated with my BBB and it shoots dead even with my Bungied Nitefinder. The case as a Wii Zapper by the way is excellent. Even beats out the Nyko perfect shot. I've been kicking ass on House of the Dead with it.

But I'm getting off the subject. Maybe there are two models of this thing? One firmly glued and another with loose glue, or the loose glue is a fortunate defect.

#206135 Help With A Ls!

Posted by Vinnie D on 25 January 2009 - 04:58 AM in General Nerf

The easiest way is just to cock it, (which causes the dart stopper to retract) and then drop the dart down the barrel, and ramrod it in tight. This works on the Recon too.

#204056 Recon Spring Addition With Removable Stock

Posted by Vinnie D on 17 January 2009 - 03:41 AM in Modifications

If you have a short plunger recon, it's the perfect length to just place the spring against the mid section of the stock. If you bolt the tube to the rods of the stock it should actually help to reinforce the stock. Though it is cool to see one more variant on this mod. Glue sticks are just the right size.

#203762 I Have A Recon Dream...

Posted by Vinnie D on 16 January 2009 - 03:02 AM in Modifications

I don't see why there's so much denial over the recon doing 50 and 60 feet. Mine shoots a reliable 50 feet on a cold night, and it was only my second mod. It has the following mods relevant to range.

Barrel extension is fitted with copper pipe. (Proved to be a bad idea. it improves accuracy a bit but does nothing for range. Copper seems to be too high on friction.)

AR removal, Spring Compression, and power stock (using a nitefinder spring). Mind you if I don't use the barrel extension it's wildly inaccurate, and because I didn't do anything to reinforce the catch or trigger it sometimes won't cock, and jams frequently. Still the point is that it gets 50 feet. Not that it makes the thing practical, and I've long since replaced it with a BBB as a primary. The 50 foot range seems to be standard fair. It could be a decent secondary if the jamming issue were resolved and the fishtailing could be fixed. I think a little modding to the breech could do it.

It could be a primary for indoor wars where range isn't an issue, and it gives you a more compact clip fed solution than the bulkier longshot.

#203255 Rear Loading Maverick

Posted by Vinnie D on 14 January 2009 - 02:04 AM in Modifications

I can imagine that there's some desire here for the aesthetic value of reloading the rear of the cylinder since Mavericks are essentially revolvers. That's part of the reason why everyone likes to mod the cylinder to swing out further, and I always enjoy spinning mine before slapping it back in. But the cylinder on the mav is just too tiny and exacting to push air through those barrels. maybe if you made a nitemav out of it.

#201821 Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Posted by Vinnie D on 08 January 2009 - 07:19 AM in General Nerf

I've broken a recon before though not for the same reason, and found that once broken it's a fantastic parts gun. You can strip it down to just the magazine clip and bolt sled and once you've tightened up the breech a bit and cut off the dart tooth it's great for adding a clip to just about anything. Mine's now a clip feed for my Titan for example. The stock with some PVC reinforcement went on my Big Bad bow, and I still have a spare sight, tactical light, and barrel extension along with some other assorted springs and brackets laying around waiting for the next time I feel creative. A broken recon may be a blessing in disguise.

I always take the time to add a felt pad to the end of any plunger when I remove an AR, for this very reason. Superglue though isn't all that super. Try JB weld or plumber's goop instead, and give it plenty of time to cure. Failing that maybe try fitting a PVC cap to it instead. These are all shots in the dark though, I've not yet had to fix a plunger that's broken in that manner.