DX-Robert's Content

There have been 575 items by DX-Robert (Search limited from 07-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#68507 Special Ammunition

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 November 2005 - 10:27 PM in General Nerf

In 3" pipe a tennis ball can seal so well that it itself will fly up to 100 ft or more and you'll barely be able to see what you fired. When we get some material for stefans, we are going to fill the barrel with them and see how far they can travel. The current "Douchenator" could hold dozens upon dozens of stefans and could fire them hundreds of feet.

I'll have to make a new topic for that. Getting back to the original inquiry, check at a hardware store to see if they've got anything cup-like that will fit in 2" PVC. It can be made of nearly any material [keep it lightweight though].

#68505 Special Ammunition

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 November 2005 - 10:18 PM in General Nerf

Exactly! If you want an example, here's a video clip a friend and I made recently:

Example of this concept

You can get the general idea without watching the whole thing, as it is a somewhat large file with bad quality.

#68502 Special Ammunition

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 November 2005 - 10:00 PM in General Nerf

Don't have the ammo make the seal, put the ammo in an object that will make the seal. For example, a tennis ball can makes a perfect seal in 3" PVC and anything smaller than 3" can be shot out of it with amazing results. I'm not quite sure what you could use as a seal for 2" PVC, but think of it that way. Trying to use just your ammo as a seal will limit what you can shoot and how well it can be shot.

#68487 Organizational Idea

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 November 2005 - 06:29 PM in Modifications

...Only that's at NHQ. Something already existing there isn't going to help n00bs that joined NH and not NHQ. The only negative I can see about compiling a mods list is that really n00bish people won't look at it unless something is done to make the list really obvious. A reference in the COC perhaps, or maybe a link on the forum sub menu. Those are places that at least get noticed. Just a pinned topic or the such wouldn't cut it because pinned topics are suprisingly easy to forget about.

#68486 Traps.

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 November 2005 - 06:16 PM in General Nerf

@Sponge_Nerfer: If you want to talk about your ball valve homemade, make a new topic for it. This topic is clearly for Traps, something you would have noticed had you bothered to read the title or any other posts in it. I also don't understand why so many people can't use forum code correctly. It is like HTML, you must close your tags: [/quote]

@drumsrock92: The COC also mentions the use of proper capitalization and punctuation. Your post was marginally better than Sponge_Nerfer's in terms of following the COC.

Now to get back on topic, which is what one should do after it has gone off in some other random direction. To sum up my earlier views on Traps: Certain traps are effective in certain locations and in certain types of wars. One kind of trap may be a waste of time in one game type while scoring multiple kills in another. Depends on the situation. Don't build traps for the sake of building traps; make them only if you know they have a chance of helping to swing the balance of a nerf fight in your favor. :mellow:

#68395 Crossbow Tactical

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2005 - 10:54 PM in Modifications

Im not trying to be mean or any thing but its kinda ugly.

Substance over style, man. I would take the worst looking gun imaginable if it shot 100 ft vs the best looking gun if it shot 20.

And a weapon that big might not serve u well in urban combat becosue its not like your going to nerf in a huge office building but you will be nerfing in your own home, It will be a tight squeeze for that gun good luck anyway.

Sorry guys i didnt say it was a bad integration, its just im a bit picky about my weapons.

A: You have no idea where he might use this thing. It could be in the woods, in a building complex, a neighborhood, almost anywhere can accomodate a large gun. It isn't even that big to start with, and I am willing to bet that it is pretty light and comfortable.

B: It isn't even your gun, so how does that sentence matter?

#68349 Mav Help

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2005 - 12:19 PM in Modifications

It's really not that hard: There are screws at both ends of the yellow rotating barrel. Take the screws out of the rest of the gun and then you'll be able to reach them. Or you can reach them first if you have a small enough screwdriver.

And read the COC again, especially this clause: "Use capitalization and punctuation correctly."

#68347 New Dart Design!

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2005 - 12:03 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

Imagine those shot at you from a homemade nerf gun with 70 PSI behind it. Marbles will fly faster and hundreds of feet further than any golf tee could. A golf tee weighs next to nothing. I'm holding one right now and I couldn't imagine that this little thing could hurt that much more than a simple stock micro. Yes if it were shot out of a homemade, but no if shot from a stock gun. Also, at the worst the tee would hurt. At worst, the marble could go into you. :cry:

#68343 New Dart Design!

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2005 - 11:37 AM in Homemades

Trust me, a golf tee is not that bad. I can shoot marbles from my homemades [but just for fun, not in an actual nerf war of course]. From across the street I put a dent in a neighbor's fence. That thing is deadly, as the marble hits the target object before you can blink. [And that is only at 70 PSI]

A golf tee is very light, so it should not hurt as much as, say, a good stefan. If shot out of a stock nerf gun, a golf tee shouldn't much hurt at all.

#68138 Traps.

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 November 2005 - 11:37 PM in General Nerf

If you can't cover the necessary routes, then yeah, a trap would be very useful. If I were on my own in an assassin-style game, I would always try to have my back against something. A wall, a tree, something to cover and protect one flank. Then you can watch the other three more easily. Also depends on where you fight: suburban, forested, etc. Traps may not be as effective in a forest as they would be in a building complex. There is no one right answer to this, there are times when traps will work, and times when they are a waste.

#68134 Traps.

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 November 2005 - 10:54 PM in General Nerf

Honestly, the best trap is a hidden person holding a gun. I've never found traps effective whatsoever, a careful and experienced enemy should not fall for them. Especially in Nerf, if you are not playing a one hit kill game, traps will have no effect at all. Only the weak and inexperienced can be intimidated this way. Veteran enemies will press on. If you are playing some variation of an elimination game, one-on-one action will take out more people than traps will. A skilled fighter should rely on combat rather than stationary traps which cannot react to peoples' actions nor move to counter a bypass of their position.

#68125 Mav20

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 November 2005 - 09:28 PM in General Nerf

And that is where experience with water guns comes into play. I've frozen quite a few of those valves, blown out a trigger valve, and replaced it. [in water guns] Nerf guns are surprisingly similar, which helps a ton. The learning curve is less significant due to many of the same internal parts [although as I've just learned, have different names].

I can imagine that blowing a nerf air tank is much worse of a problem than blowing a water gun trigger valve. Therefore, common sense and caution would prevail if I were to freeze the valve.

#68123 Mav20

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 November 2005 - 08:58 PM in General Nerf

My 3 air pressure guns are a RF and a pair of homemades. So that's where my "air pressure guns get better range" comment came from.

Hmm, I'll have to measure my RF's range, I could have sworn it could do better than 35'. I am assuming that the RF has a check valve to release extra pressure, if you freeze it the range could be improved to a certain extent.

#68120 New Members

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 November 2005 - 08:35 PM in Site Feedback

Now I am aware that this topic is months old, but I don't think it's too much of a concern seeing how there aren't any current threads in this section plus this is only 7 from the top of the page. If someone with power thinks otherwise, then I wouldn't be surprised if this post is missing tomorrow. Also, I do have somthing useful and insightful to say here, making replying in an old topic somewhat more justified. But I'm digressing.

I've been a lurker here for the better part of a year; shut out by closed registration. I had almost given up on the Haven until I came back recently, noticing that registration had been reinstated.

I get the impression that many here think all new members are n00bs simply because they are new. But there are those rare instances where a quality member pops up and may not be given a chance due to something like closed registration. I have an admin and two moderator positions at three water war community forums, so I know the attitude at NH toward n00bs all too well.

My site prebans members that have been a problem on other forums. The real troublemakers never make it to us. Even if that isn't practical on a large and popular forum such as NH, it could help a bit.

Another thing, the Administration here has been doing a great job. Allowing new members to join and post quickly reveals who wants to become a good and loyal member of Nerfhaven and who wants a 30 year Special. That works much more effectively than simply shutting out every new member and losing grip on the fanbase.

#68111 Mav20

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 November 2005 - 03:06 PM in General Nerf

I also think that this would be a complete waste of a Rapid Fire. Unless, that is, you improved and increased the power of the Maverick itself before adding barrels, so that the mod would be worth it. Otherwise, you would lose range because the [in my opinion underpowered] Maverick spring doesn't match the range you could get with air pressure guns.

First post, too. B)