UpperHand's Content

There have been 149 items by UpperHand (Search limited from 07-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#178482 Homemade Rifle

Posted by UpperHand on 20 September 2008 - 07:55 PM in Homemades

I am currently building a rifle based after the M1-Garand, and I have completed the stock. It is wood, which has a door hinge attached to the back, which you can turn to open up the back of the stock. I am going to use to hold the extra magazine. I do have a few questions in the actually challenging part of the construction, so I'll list them in the order of "urgency":
1. I am planning to use a Snap trigger system, and because I don't want the rifle to get extremely long too quickly, I was planning on putting 2 shorter plungers side by side, and connecting the (charge?) rods that come out the back of the barrels. Then you could have 1 trigger. This way when the gun is primed the plunger with the trigger attached will hold the other one back. Do think It'll work or the stress will break the connection? (I'm using two 5" springs)
2. I am also unsure how to connect the ends of the tubes the air will be flowing out of. Any ideas? So far I was thinking hose npts and some tubing.
3. Are longshot magazines easy enough to integrate into a homemade, because I have found that trying to make your own spring magazine is kind of a bitch.
I am going to try to make this as "good looking" as possible, because I'm sick of guns that shoot 80' and look like shit. It's easier to like a sturdy/good looking gun.

-Upperhand

EDIT- sorry I don't have any pictures up, I'll try to get some tomorrow when I find my fire wire.

#176172 Secret Shot Modification

Posted by UpperHand on 09 September 2008 - 04:07 PM in Modifications

Looks good, I really like that blaster, it looks really old school. Good ranges without a spring replacement too.

#174749 Animals And Nerfing

Posted by UpperHand on 03 September 2008 - 06:12 PM in Off Topic

My cat does the same thing as a lot of other people here, but he only goes after my red micro darts. After he "catches" them, he brings the shredded remains to me, thinking he has just gotten a kill.

-Upperhand

EDIT- People are also posting a lot about the led fishing weights, and wouldn't it be safer and less worrisome to just drive the extra distance to get some copper bb's at, say Dicks sporting goods? Or buy them online? And don't try to tell anyone you don't get internet...

#173935 Homemade 5-barrel Turret

Posted by UpperHand on 31 August 2008 - 04:25 PM in Homemades

So the other day I was annoyed at my Snaps reload time. I was having to ramrod the darts down the barrel after every shot, and that sort of defeats the purpose of a springer, so I decided to make a turret. I didn't want to scrap an AT3K that I had, so I made it entirely of PVC, copper, and e-tape. The general idea is that there are 5 barrels of PVC, inside nested several layers of copper coming down to 17/32" copper. These barrels are mounted around a PVC pipe that is in turn put over a brass pipe. The brass pipe is attached to the gun, and doesn't spin, but the barrels spin around it. On the end of the barrels there are couplers which attach to the section of 1/2" PVC coming out of the body of the gun. To operate, you just spin the turret, pull the coupler over the PVC, fire, pull the barrels away from the PVC, then repeat the process. The turret is rear loading as well, but is quite heavy.

-Upperhand

EDIT- The site keeps telling me that dynamic pages in the img form are not allowed. I followed the image hosting guide, and tried the tree symbol as well. Help on this would be appreciated, thanks.

#173879 Vulcan, Is It Worth It?

Posted by UpperHand on 31 August 2008 - 07:55 AM in General Nerf

Easily the coolest gun in my opinion to be born since the rapid fire 20. It may have a slower ROF, but it's hella easier to reload. And 40 bucks? That's 2 BBB's, to put it in perspective. Of course it's worth it.

#173728 Rf 20

Posted by UpperHand on 30 August 2008 - 04:08 PM in General Nerf

Has anyone actually opened up a RF 20 and figured out how it works? I can't figure it out, and was wondering who has figured it out. It might help to develop some automatic gun ideas as well. In my opinion, (and maybe I'm pushing it here) it might be a good idea to have a topic on how some of the more complex guns work, i.e the Vulcan, RF 20, Mech 20, ect.
Thanks,

-Upperhand

- Also, does one have to completely remove the grey shell to be able to get the turret out? I think I may have stripped some of the screws.

EDIT- Hahaha, I guess nobody really knows.

#173478 Difference Between 1st Gen Bbb And Reissue?

Posted by UpperHand on 29 August 2008 - 07:17 PM in General Nerf

Look, if you want a powerful modified BBB, then I'd reccomend the Big Bad Sexy. I did it to my BBB and got around 100' ranges flat. 100' is plenty of distance for a spring gun.

-Upperhand

EDIT- Mine is the newer BBB

#173472 Ammo Holder On A Barrel?

Posted by UpperHand on 29 August 2008 - 07:12 PM in Modifications

This reminds me of a homemade turret that I built recently. I think that the ammo holders are fine, because they don't really stick out of the gun more than a 1/2" anyways.

#171994 Vulcan With Roto Track Spring?

Posted by UpperHand on 24 August 2008 - 10:21 AM in Modifications

"Im hoping that the added power will improve accuracy..." -nerfnoob213

Just so you know, adding power doesn't improve accuracy. Especially if too much is added, it exposes the tiniest flaws in the darts. Besides, the vulcan isn't really meant to be the most accurate of guns, its supossed to dominate because of it's ROF.

#171106 Big Bad Problem

Posted by UpperHand on 20 August 2008 - 09:55 PM in Modifications

Thanks, I do have one of the springs still, so I'll see if I can find another scrap spring around the house.

#171099 Big Bad Problem

Posted by UpperHand on 20 August 2008 - 09:48 PM in Modifications

Not exactly what the title says. I have modified it like a big bad sexy, and it often fires randomly after I cock it, and it also has a lot of trouble becoming cocked, not really locking until after several attempts. I may have lost the springs that push the orange pieces onto the side of the tube.

-Upperhand

#170282 Tubeless Tire Valve?

Posted by UpperHand on 18 August 2008 - 12:46 PM in Modifications

I just went to my auto zone and they had them there.

-Upperhand

#169509 Homemade Problems

Posted by UpperHand on 15 August 2008 - 05:59 PM in Homemades

Just an update for everyone who has helped, I tried simpler first, basically putting in a plug of sorts and drilling a 2/32" hole in it. It worked fine to constrict the air, but if problems arise in the future, I might buy a flow control valve. I also would like to mention that the main air tank is a bit of a beast, and it reminds me of the vaccum type machines that they use in ghostbusters, because I carry it in a backpack. I'll try to get some pics up if i can find my digital camera.

-Upperhand

#169297 Longshot Paint Jobs

Posted by UpperHand on 14 August 2008 - 10:27 PM in Modifications

A really common technique that people do is paint the gun one color, put masking tape on the part you want the original color to be on, then put another coat on over the masking tape, and remove it. Another common thing to do is steampunk, but that can be kind of hard.

EDIT-Didn't see BustaNinjas bit about the tape

#169283 Big Blast Or Big Salvo?

Posted by UpperHand on 14 August 2008 - 10:09 PM in General Nerf

I am going to disagree with the majority of people here. Big Salvo just seems more practical for me. The great ROF is a huge plus compared to the big blast. I used to prefer range over ROF, but I have had too many people rush me and shoot me after I pop a shot off, and not be able to reload in time. If you have a big blast you do need a faster reloading secondary.

-Upperhand

#169280 Homemade Problems

Posted by UpperHand on 14 August 2008 - 10:02 PM in Homemades

A few questions, first, that regulator is metal, so you had to buy a metal to pvc adapter correct? Second, could I get it at Home Depot? What about the price of the regulator?

#169241 Homemade Problems

Posted by UpperHand on 14 August 2008 - 07:55 PM in Homemades

I really want to avoid this, seeing as I would have to repressurize the chamber after every shot.

-Upperhand

#169234 Homemade Problems

Posted by UpperHand on 14 August 2008 - 07:26 PM in Homemades

These do sound like a good device for a semi auto design, however I don't know if they really slow down the air speed. As for putting something over the ball valve, that probably wouldn't work, the air would either blow it off or the constant movement of the ball valve would twist it off. I looked around online, and it seems that flow regulators have an inlet pressure (most are above 100 PSI, which is more than I need) and a preset outlet pressure. What do you think would be a good pressure for firing darts at say, 80 to 100 foot range? Or am I asking too much with those ranges?

-Upperhand

#169189 Homemade Problems

Posted by UpperHand on 14 August 2008 - 05:15 PM in Homemades

I am currently making a homemade gun, and the design is relatively simple on paper. (Although it never stays that way :P ) The idea has been done before, where there is a large chamber in the gun where most of the air is kept, and then transfered to a firing chamber via a ball valve. After the air is transfered, the user closes the ball valve, sealing the firing chamber off from the main chamber. Then, the firing chamber is emptied in a shot via a solenoid valve. Next the ball valve is opened again putting air in the firing chamber, and the process is repeated. The problem that I am having is that after the ball valve is opened, the air coming into the firing chamber comes in too fast, pushing up the diaphragm on the solenoid valve, and releasing the air. I was wondering what valve I should replace the ball valve with, or if you have any suggestions. I was thinking a check valve maybe, but that would probably have the same effect as the ball valve. Thanks for your help in advance,

-Upperhand

#168826 Dodging Darts. The Right Way.

Posted by UpperHand on 13 August 2008 - 04:15 PM in General Nerf

I'm not much of a "dodger" when it comes to one on one battels. My general rule is to have at least two shots ready or don't engage an enemy. Reason being that there is no better distraction than a dart flying at somebody. So I follow my old basketball coach's advice and "follow my shot." I fire once, immediately charge while my opponent is dodging and therefore most likely no aiming at me, and then if I missed I fire again. This isn't a tactic I see utilized often. Most people fire and freeze to see if their shot hit its mark. This, I have found, is also the best time to shoot somebody. If you're trying to take a longer range shot, wait for your target to aim at somebody else and then fire. I guess I'm just not much of a defensive player. I carry lot's of ammo and lot's of barrels ready to fire so that after I fire there's nobody left to defend myself against.

That, is a very good point, and also a very simple way to up your ROF. I will try to be more aware of this next time in a battle.

#168416 Good Primaries

Posted by UpperHand on 12 August 2008 - 12:18 PM in General Nerf

I personally have modded many guns, and have found that 2 very solid candidates are the big salvo and the Airtech 3000. The Big Salvo is a great shotgun, and the Airtech is a good medium range gun. Also both are pretty easy to modify, the Big Salvo is the easiest.

-Upperhand

EDIT-both are under 50 dollars

#168312 Perfect Darts!

Posted by UpperHand on 11 August 2008 - 11:11 PM in General Nerf

Allow me to disagree VACC, and this is just my opinion. I really find that I'd sacrifice time for a better dart, for several reasons. First off, it makes the whole process less expensive. If you make 100 crappy stefans, and only 75 work well, then you have wasted a lot of materials, or money. Also, I'd like to go into a war knowing that my darts are going to perform well, and not perform inconsistently. There is a middle ground though, which is probably your point.

-Upperhand

#168201 An Idea For Storing Vulcan Extra Long Ammo Belts.

Posted by UpperHand on 11 August 2008 - 07:02 PM in Modifications

A simpler idea than modding the gears would be to create a sort of "table" for the chain so that the Vulcan wouldn't have to pull the chain against gravity.

-Upperhand

#168200 Stefan Weight

Posted by UpperHand on 11 August 2008 - 06:57 PM in General Nerf

I think splitlip said it best, searching is the best way to prevent unnessesary new topics. Use it to find what you are looking for, then start a new topic.

-Upperhand

#166584 New Nerfer Database

Posted by UpperHand on 04 August 2008 - 07:34 PM in General Nerf

This is a great idea, and can hopefully be used to help organize wars. Also Philote, I'm in Massachusetts too.

-Upperhand

#166078 Homemade Magazine

Posted by UpperHand on 02 August 2008 - 10:17 PM in Homemades

Hello everyone. I recently completed a homemade airgun, a snap springer, and I have modified a big bad bow. I have in the past made magazines for them, which were gravity fed. I plan to soon try to build a spring fed magazine, and I was wondering if anyone knows what springs I should use, and if I would be better off using shells with the darts or not. Also, I will try to get pictures of the airgun and springer up soon, if you are interested, I just have to find my digital camera.
Thanks in advance,
-Upperhand

#166030 Homemade Bolt Action Rifle

Posted by UpperHand on 02 August 2008 - 06:50 PM in Homemades

Looks cool!

I have a couple of questions...

Does it prime via a spring? And if so what kind?
Also are you shells going to be cpvc or brass?

-Upperhand

#165730 Rescue Tape

Posted by UpperHand on 31 July 2008 - 07:08 PM in Modifications

It looks really nice! I normally only use electrical tape for creating better seals with shells, so I wouldn't need it that much. However it would be nice to not have to worry about broken seals!

-Upperhand

#164963 Finished Lpa Tank

Posted by UpperHand on 28 July 2008 - 02:26 PM in Homemades

Jackster57,

I know I am new to NH but I have been nerfing for a little over a year now, so I'll try to help out:

I'm not sure whether or not you mean the tubing in the magstrike or the tubing you are going to buy, but if you buy pressure rated tubing for the tubing you should be good. I got some at McmasterCarr.
As for the connection of the tubing to the Pvc tank, I'm pretty sure that you can get a PVC pipe to tube adapter easily at your local hardware store. If not, there's plenty of sites that you can buy those at. I think they are called hose barbs

-Upperhand