Poseidon's Content

There have been 170 items by Poseidon (Search limited from 08-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#247953 Rf20 Problem

Posted by Poseidon on 21 August 2009 - 09:51 AM in General Nerf

Yes I searched but found no one with this exact problem. I picked up one of those yellow and black RF20's from my local Target the other day and it works great other then that the single shot mode actually fires more like 3 darts. I'm not particularly beat up over it, I'm just curious as to if anyone else has had this problem and if so, if they know how to fix it. Thanks.

#247885 Raider Overhaul Write-up

Posted by Poseidon on 20 August 2009 - 07:22 PM in Modifications

Nice work Tantum. I'm admittedly a little sad at the 40 foot range. I thought it was going to be more as Ice's stock Raider I think got higher then that; I could be wrong though. Anyway, good to see someone got something up there for it; thanks.

If you remember correctly than Ice is a filthy liar. His raider was not hitting more than 15 feet stock. And thanks.

Well, it was actually with AR's punched out and he got 34-68ft. Not too sure what that means for your 40, but at least it's more consistent :D.

Oh, and here's his video for it in case you were curious.

#247863 Raider Overhaul Write-up

Posted by Poseidon on 20 August 2009 - 06:05 PM in Modifications

Nice work Tantum. I'm admittedly a little sad at the 40 foot range. I thought it was going to be more as Ice's stock Raider I think got higher then that; I could be wrong though. Anyway, good to see someone got something up there for it; thanks.

#247837 Blaster Measurement Topic

Posted by Poseidon on 20 August 2009 - 04:21 PM in General Nerf

It's an interesting thought, but I think angle distortion will be a slight problem. Also, if this becomes a big thing, try organizing them so people can easily access the gun they're looking for. That's just my two-cent's worth. Good idea though!

#247780 Question For Winter

Posted by Poseidon on 20 August 2009 - 08:12 AM in General Nerf

Also here's another topic you might have missed LINKY

Ah, thanks, I had tried key words winter and snow but not cold... my bad.

#247721 Question For Winter

Posted by Poseidon on 19 August 2009 - 09:16 PM in General Nerf

Okay, you kids have a way of not listening to guys with alot of experience and listening to the random members who have been nerfing for less then a year. So let me tell you I've nerfed alot during the winter and I can say without a doubt that airguns are slightly effected. You see a bit less range and more wild shots. Spring guns don't seem to be effected at all. And honestly, that's the end of discussion. Anyone who's nerfed in cold climates more then a handful of times will say the same thing. The rest is pure speculation and bullshit.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

#247696 Question For Winter

Posted by Poseidon on 19 August 2009 - 07:03 PM in General Nerf

Some foam doesn't vary too much with temperature

What's the likelihood that they will return to normal size if they do? I'd rather not waste a few hundred darts for one night.

#247673 Question For Winter

Posted by Poseidon on 19 August 2009 - 05:34 PM in General Nerf

Contrary to what Icespartan said, air guns are a bad choice. the cold very quickly compromises the integrity of tubing in most guns. I would not even consider using anything with a bladder.

Yep, that's what I was afraid of. I don't plan on being out there too long at a crack so I figure the springers would at least be okay for that time.

As for the darts, I've shot them out in the winter before and haven't seen any shrinking. I use modified stock darts, could that have anything to do with it?

#247654 Question For Winter

Posted by Poseidon on 19 August 2009 - 04:34 PM in General Nerf

First off, yes I searched. Now, as I've never been a pro at science, I thought someone might be able to better explain this. I was just pondering the thought of having a winter nerf war (outside of course). I live in Buffalo, NY so I'd probably be doing this at some point when it's hopefully not snowing and we have a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Before I do this, I would obviously want to know what effects this would have on our weaponry. I wouldn't be too worried about springers as long as they don't have any gaping holes in then but I didn't know if the contraction of air would have an adverse effect on air pumps. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#243432 Basic Stormfire Mod & Ctf Description And Overview

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 09:40 PM in Modifications

Nice mod and writeup. With a new spring this could be one heck of a sidearm. This looks the most like a real pistol other than the lnl.

Yep, people will just have to be smart and not minimize it, paint it black and bring it to a nerf war. You know someone will. I think the orange one is going to end up pink but I'm not sure...

#243421 Lanard Sawed-off Handcannon

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 09:09 PM in General Nerf

Mmm... I see an air pump gun's internals in it's future... thanks for the pics.

#243414 Basic Stormfire Mod & Ctf Description And Overview

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 08:53 PM in Modifications

(ranges)

I don't mean to be Devil's Advocate, but if you're claiming those ranges flat, I'll have to call BS on that. The stock spring is puny, and with stock darts I wouldn't believe anything higher than 45' at the absolute most when fired flat.

Nope, completely understandable. I should have been more clear; those are angled. I'm not accustomed to taking ranges and when I do I go somewhere between 30 and 45 degree angled shots. I can go and do then flat first thing in the morning. My reasoning behind taking them angled is that there's no reason to shoot a dart flat in a war. But I guess I can also understand the need for a universal form of range taking. Anyway, I'll be more clear in the future.

#243386 Basic Stormfire Mod & Ctf Description And Overview

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 07:36 PM in Modifications

Forgive the double post, but Banshee convinced me some ranges would be beneficial. Although I don't think they're 100% necessary, here they are.
30-45 Degree Angled Shots

55ft
53ft
60ft
54ft
61ft

Bear in mind these are with stock darts (taggers to be exact; I figured I'd use something everyone's familiar with), with a stock spring. Overall, I'm rather satisfied with it. Take it how you will.

#243377 Basic Stormfire Mod & Ctf Description And Overview

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 06:27 PM in Modifications

I completely agree on most points. I'll be the first to get pissed off at anyone who leaves no trace of ranges in their mod thread. The main reason for me leaving it out was that this was nothing new; just basically AR removal. Now, if I had done something more interesting, even a spring addition, that might have been something worth mentioning. But I also understand where you're coming from here wanting to know on average the range of the gun. I mean, no one's going to buy a single shot gun if it gets the ranges of a Maverick. Which it doesn't; it's an excellent gun doing just as well, if not better, then a NF.

By the way, the Stormfire set I purchased was $39.99 at my local Toys R Us. The also sell them on walmart.com for the same price.

And yes, I like the drum set... wanted it in red but only had silver... oh well, life goes on.

#243362 Basic Stormfire Mod & Ctf Description And Overview

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 05:01 PM in Modifications

Well, I didn't do a spring replacement yet, but probably somewhere between 60 and 75 feet. With a better spring, I'm sure you could get it up to the high 70's or 80's. But once again, ranges aren't very useful to go by. My darts alone could make a 5-10ft difference from someone else's. There you have it though. Nobody else ask.

#243353 Basic Stormfire Mod & Ctf Description And Overview

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 04:23 PM in Modifications

Part 2

Now we'll cover the CTF unit and all the other various accessories included.

First off, the Dart Tag vest and glasses. The glasses are pretty much the same as the old ones (only with a slightly darker frame) and have 99.9% UV and UVB ray protection as according the box. Meh.

Posted Image

And then we have the vests. Which are made even more usless as they no longer have a back to them. Perhaps Hasbro wanted to discourage back stabbing(shooting)? Who knows, but here it is...

Posted Image

And now, we have the CTF unit. Originally, I thought it was going to be a little weak, but it turned out being really cool. It has two different modes (Seek and Disarm & Capture the Flag) as I will describe very shortly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a comparison to a Maverick...

Posted Image

The unit has four options on the front. As you probably can't tell from the picture, they're "Off", "5", "15 and "Flag" in descending order. The "Off" option is quite obvious, if you don't understand it, shoot me a pm and I'll send you a name a nice psychiatric doctor I know. The "5" and "15" refer to the "Seek and Disarm" mode as the number of minutes you have to complete the task. "Flag" just refers to Capture the Flag mode.

Posted Image

Now, on the back, there is a description of each of the game types. But, as I'm sure you once again can not read it, I'll summerize.

Seek and Disarm: After you select either "5" or "15" on the front of the unit, you have to press the Start/Stop button on the top to start the game. You have however many minutes you chose to seek and disarm it. As it is waiting for one team to disarm it, it flashes read from the light fixture on top. To disarm the unit, you simply press the Start/Stop button on top of it. There is a catch however. If the unit is moved more then a few centimeters, it will alarm. You can use this as you choose. For example, this could just prevent the defending team from moving the device or you could just have it so when it is moved, the alarm goes off alerting the attackers to it's position. Every time the unit hits the minute mark with the timer, it will beep one time for each minute that there is left in the round. In the last ten seconds it starts alarming like cow getting a hot branding tool shoved up its ass. Overall, it seems like a pretty sweet option which I will be promptly trying out at a local war I'm hosting next week.

Capture the Flag: This type is exceptionally more simple then Seek and Disarm. Once the unit is set to "Flag" and you press the "Start/Stop" button, the game begins. All that the unit does in this round is alarm whenever it is moved. I guess this purpose of this is to give the Defending team the advantage in finding the theft. And, that's about it. To stop the game, you actually have to turn the whole unit off. I imagine it would be a lot more amusing to have a unit for each team then just using the single one, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Posted Image

And, here's what the unit looks like when it's blinking...

Posted Image

Also note the unit takes 3 AAA batteries.

Yep, so that's about it. I hope this has been helpful and influential in your decision if you want to spring the 40 bucks to get it. I believe it was worth it if nothing more then for the CTF unit. Thank you for your time! Questions comments and flames are welcome.

#243348 Basic Stormfire Mod & Ctf Description And Overview

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 03:49 PM in Modifications

The purpose of this is not to knock off Dizzy's Stormfire mod but rather to provide some insight into some of the more specific details of the Stormfire and the CTF unit that may not have been included in Dizzy's thread. The first post will cover the Stormfire itself while the following will cover the CTF unit and other accessories. Please don't post on my post until both posts are... err.. posted. I apologize ahead of time for the quality and size of a few of the pictures. With that being said, I introduce to you, the Stormfire Dart Tag Set.

Posted Image

We'll be working with the sexy "eye raping" green SF. Now, once you open this puppy up (18 screws that need to be removed), you'll get this...

Posted Image

Now, if you take the tube that the plunger is inserted through, you'll see this. Obviously a "wee" bit of air is being restricted.

Posted Image

From here, you need to remove the green barrel with the green connector piece from the white plunger tube. It's held together by this funky glue which came apart as shown after being held over a candle for a bit. Please be careful; I don't want anyone getting burnt on my behalf.

Posted Image

Now we're going to be working with the green piece we remove from the plunger tube.

Posted Image

From here, cut the piece off that connected the barrel to the plunger tube. Now using a dremel/file/scissors, shave off enough of the interior so that whatever type of barrel you are using will fit through. This is probably the most tedious part of the mod; which isn't really saying much.

Posted Image

Next, take the connector piece and reconnect it with the plunger tube and your new barrel giving you something like this...

Posted Image

Now, once again, you'll have to file/dremel/scissorify (verb form of scissor?) out the inside of the orange piece that goes on the front of your gun so that your barrel will fit through.

Posted Image

From this point, you have several options. You may choose to add some foam to silence the gun a bit (it needs it) or replace the spring or whatever else you can come up with. But basically, it will look like this when all together.

Posted Image

Here's a close up of the catch if you're curious...

Posted Image

And the gun altogether again.

Posted Image

Now, some size comparison.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The gun is approximately 29cm long.

Just a few notes... The SF is very light and has an excellent handle being larger then most guns that have come out recently. It, unfortunately, is very loud but's spring doesn't rattle like NF's sometimes do. In addition to the two main ammo slots, there is one right below the barrel and another in the handle much like the Recon. As predicted, it has an attachment rail on tome of the gun for all of your attachment needs.

As this is essentially a basic AR removal mod, I'm not going to give you ranges as they vary from person to person depending on their spring type, barrel and darts used. In comparison though, it performs very similarly to my NF's. Overall, I'm very happy with its performance thus far.

Part 1 is done, Part 2 will be finished in the next 20 minutes or so. Thank you for reading! Please hold all questions, comments or flames until Part 2 is done or may the evil gremlins of Nerf hunt you down, boil your internals, play racket ball with your head and make stylish necklaces with your various appendages.

Edit: So Banshee made a good point. For that, I took some measurements. With the 5 stock darts I fired at 30-45 Degree Angled shots (taggers if you're curious; used because everyone's familiar with them) I got...
55ft
53ft
60ft
54ft
61ft

Bear in mind these are with stock darts, with a stock spring. Overall, I'm rather satisfied with it.

#243329 Nerf Wars On Wikipedia

Posted by Poseidon on 23 July 2009 - 01:29 PM in General Nerf

Psh... if anyone actually wanted to fix this and came up with something good, I've got a Wikipedia editing account I could put it up with. Very amusing though.

#243031 Stormfire Optimzation

Posted by Poseidon on 21 July 2009 - 05:25 PM in Modifications

And you did that all how quickly?!? In all seriousness though, excellent work. Not that you really need to hear it from anyone anymore as it has become expected of your artistic hands. My hat is tipped.

#243030 Pistol Splat Holster

Posted by Poseidon on 21 July 2009 - 05:17 PM in General Nerf

I made a thread almost exactly like this a little while back. I think the consensus ended up being to get the holster Groove uses for his NF. I'm a cheap son of a bitch so I made one out of ducktape. There's a thread about it in my sig.

Not to hijack the thread here, but when I tried clicking on the link for the "Drop Leg Holster" from the Homemade part of your sig, it just opened the page I was already on again.

#242871 Homemade Arrows

Posted by Poseidon on 20 July 2009 - 03:55 PM in Darts and Barrels

Nice. I've been avoiding making arrows due to the in-depth process most of the techniques entail, but I believe this qualifies as "simple". You say it flies well, but have you compared ranges with stock arrows?

By the way tack66... a simple mod will make a Nitefinder fire 3 times as strong/far as a Maverick. That is all.

#240536 Titan/magstrike Integration

Posted by Poseidon on 06 July 2009 - 08:17 PM in Modifications

That my friend, qualifies as a Beast. By far the most well thought out and unique integration I've ever seen. My money's on this bad boy as the Mod Contest winner. Great work!

#239491 Trimav

Posted by Poseidon on 30 June 2009 - 08:45 PM in Modifications

I look at every thread on the haven and rarely post, but due to my immense love for mavericks, this deserves it. Bravo Splitlip... very impressive. Once again proving that you can never run out of mods for a gun, no matter how old it may be. One question; isn't it a wee bit front heavy with all of those barrels? I imagine carrying that thing around at a war will be a bitch.

Edit-Oh, just Split now?

#236822 Raider Preview

Posted by Poseidon on 16 June 2009 - 07:24 PM in General Nerf

So Ice, you really haven't had any problems with jamming? I didn't notice any at all in the video which I was immensely impressed with as you can barely load a clip off with a Recon without it jamming...

#229685 Code Name Serenity

Posted by Poseidon on 11 May 2009 - 09:11 PM in Modifications

The title of the thread caught my attention, but definitely one of the most imaginative uses of a firefly shell I've ever seen. Great work! I'd love to see a paint job.

#227685 X Men Origins: Wolverine

Posted by Poseidon on 02 May 2009 - 05:26 PM in Off Topic

Even though I liked it, I think it was a cheap play to get more money. The first hour of the movie was just him being a lumber jack.

I think they may do the other X-men's origins, but I hope not.

There are plans for "X-Men Origins: Magneto" and "X-Men: First Class". The former is set to revolve around Magneto as a Jew in WWII with Xavier as a soldier. It is meant to deal with Magneto going all evil with anger towards the Nazis. First Class is supposed to be based off of Cyclops's, Jean's and Beast's time at Xavier's academy as kids.

#225298 The Brass Snapper

Posted by Poseidon on 23 April 2009 - 03:34 PM in Modifications

As said, that thing you got there is amazing stuff. I was surprised no one mentioned the background you put together with the chest and skull... very aesthetically appealing. Keep up the nice work; it'll give lurkers like me some great amusement.

#213889 Vera, My Supermaxx 1500

Posted by Poseidon on 21 February 2009 - 10:24 AM in Modifications

Nice work, good to see some people still love the classics.

Now, the "Vera" part wouldn't happen to be a Firefly reference would it?

#206620 The Gremlin

Posted by Poseidon on 26 January 2009 - 05:49 PM in Modifications

Very impressive for a newish member. Well done; I've never seen someone silence a TTG like that. Normally used on larger guns, but effective all the same.

#202124 What The Fuck?

Posted by Poseidon on 09 January 2009 - 06:50 PM in Modifications

Wal Mart decided to stock them NIB for the first time in a very long time. Not to pricey either.

Edit: Whoops, already answered.

#198374 I Hate Some Employees

Posted by Poseidon on 23 December 2008 - 04:44 PM in General Nerf

But you didn't, you turned around and gave him the same trash he gave you. Not cool. I'm going to stop posting here now before we all get banned...

#198367 I Hate Some Employees

Posted by Poseidon on 23 December 2008 - 04:36 PM in General Nerf

I'd hate to tell you, but it's quite possible that the guy was in a bad mood just like you said you were. And just because you're both acting like you're having your periods doesn't give you guys to act like 5 year old girls to each other. So, he got fired from a job he quite possibly needed and you walked away with more money... where's the justice in that? Plus, if your 13, you shouldn't be acting that way to someone older than you no matter how crappy they act to you.

#190941 Etrl Pump Shot Gun

Posted by Poseidon on 20 November 2008 - 05:03 PM in Off Topic

The pump is the foregrip.

#190757 Nf Spring

Posted by Poseidon on 19 November 2008 - 05:03 PM in Modifications

Ok thanks, is that the same spring that comes with the gun or a better one?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why put the same spring in the gun? The point is to modify it by putting in a better spring!!!!

Yes, it was a completely valid question. He was just asking if they were exactly the same. Plus, even if it was exactly the same, its better than no spring like he said he has. Anywho, I believe the 49 is slightly longer so it doesn't rattle as much, but I could be wrong.

#190293 Dart Shooting Toy Guns

Posted by Poseidon on 17 November 2008 - 05:20 PM in Off Topic

If you scroll down a bit, they also have pump action, foam dart shooting, shotguns. Pretty good price too if they turn out to be considering they have a "party pack" of 6 for $50.00...

#188994 Maverick Strike Fire Intigration Mod

Posted by Poseidon on 11 November 2008 - 10:28 AM in Modifications

It looks pretty dam messy, but I guess it's functional. Although, I do think it will be hard to aim with the crossfire if you have that on the bottom. Just a hint, I wouldn't turn it into a alligator... ;)

#188847 Made A L+l...

Posted by Poseidon on 10 November 2008 - 07:08 PM in Homemades

So, about what kinds of ranges are you getting with yours? Addressing your whole "better than a NF" thing, I can't imagine how any NF would get anywhere near the ranges of this thing.

#188118 New Buzzbee: Pump Tek

Posted by Poseidon on 07 November 2008 - 08:14 PM in General Nerf

this gun is one ugly thing.

This is why buzz bee isn't as good as nerf at all. Who would want to buy a gun which nerf has made a better version of in the 90's (ballzooka).

Umm... maybe because it was made in the 90's?

Back on topic, they had these at a KB Toys that was going out of business around here a little while ago. If anyone's really interested, that might be a good place to look (assuming they all haven't gone out of business).

#187311 Nitemav/mavfinder

Posted by Poseidon on 03 November 2008 - 08:57 PM in Modifications

Also, how sturdy is the NF part? It looks like one accidental drop would make it snap off...

#186894 Accessory: Sidearm Holster

Posted by Poseidon on 01 November 2008 - 07:29 PM in Modifications

Looks pretty cool, but how sturdy is it? It looks like with a bit of jostling around, it would fall out.