azrael's Content

There have been 318 items by azrael (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#330454 Elite Alpha Trooper – Spring replacement and supporting mods

Posted by azrael on 01 June 2013 - 12:40 PM in Modifications

Very good question, I'll have to pop open my original AT at some point. I think the smaller spring diameter, despite having similar spring constants, is a lot easier to prime, though. My Raider with a 6kg spring was a lot harder to prime than this EAT with a 5kg spring.

FWIW, the easiest way I found to remove the AR was to purposely remove that bottom orange ring, then tap out the supports for the inner AR and let it fall out. Then I super glued the ring back on.

#337417 Dart and Barrels pictures thread

Posted by azrael on 05 March 2014 - 02:51 PM in Darts and Barrels

My experimentation with fluted barrels.
Posted Image
Posted Image

More info here:
http://nerfscience.b...-so-i.html#more

#333398 Dart and Barrels pictures thread

Posted by azrael on 23 August 2013 - 07:11 PM in Darts and Barrels

Silicone dome darts using a 3D printed mold. Work in progress.
Posted Image
Posted Image
More info here:
http://nerfscience.b...-dome-dart.html

#329094 RoughCut 4x4 "Dudley"

Posted by azrael on 27 April 2013 - 02:32 PM in Modifications

Nice!

Any chance of a firing video?

#333921 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by azrael on 10 September 2013 - 05:46 PM in Nerf Wars

Haha, yeah they even had some of your old ones, Shmme. Just were in the community bin.

#339897 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by azrael on 01 July 2014 - 03:18 AM in Nerf Wars

Actually, Mysterio definitely played in the last few rounds. Was using a hastily assembled UMB, I think.

#339756 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by azrael on 24 June 2014 - 07:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Great time at the war despite breaking the pump on my Sceptor. Just an excuse to mod it more! Was nice to be able to put some faces to the names here.

Always love playing freeze tag, and for playing it for the first time, Carpe Testiculum was pretty fun. Can't believe Missile Crisis was ended in 2 minutes, haha.
Also, took this thing out for the first time!
Posted Image

I do think that it will work in that same location, if both teams were running missiles. One sided attack doesn't work there, I don't think haha.

#339638 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by azrael on 18 June 2014 - 04:43 AM in Nerf Wars

Holy poop, it's this weekend? This really snuck up on me. Hmmm.

#344063 "Koosh" darts

Posted by azrael on 08 January 2015 - 05:36 PM in Darts and Barrels

Some the green ones I received lately had uncured glue. Maybe 1 in 10, or so. I haven't opened all the packs. So the tips were a bit wet and just slid out. Just be aware. Maybe I received a lemon batch. The rest of them are superb, much better made than before, since they started using a new glue or something.

#320412 Buzz Bee Range Master a new airgun

Posted by azrael on 13 August 2012 - 01:27 PM in Modifications

Pretty cool. Good ranges. I wonder how much more it could be boosted to?

#337910 Guide to flywheel motors and associated systems

Posted by azrael on 31 March 2014 - 09:34 AM in Modifications

Very nice pictures. However I will always choose trustfires over Li-po because of their ease of access.

There are alternatives to Trustfires that still have better current capabilities and are still easy to use.

eFest 14500 IMRs, for example, have at least 4x the discharge current of a Trustfire, can be charged on the same charger, are significantly safer, and still are AA sized.

Nice little look at motors, not a lot of people think about this.
It might be a good idea to recognize that these are not your pictures, and some of them are drawn/taken by people on RC forums.

#335938 Nerf Rayven Tuneup (~Write up)

Posted by azrael on 14 December 2013 - 08:52 PM in Modifications

This is superb! From an electrical side, its very very impressive. The only thing I would recommend would be getting a better battery to run the flywheels. Seeing how much work you've sank into this blaster, I feel it could benefit from an internally housed LiPo. I recommend a 2s or similar with a good discharge rate; the windup on a good discharge battery is nonexistent.

But overall, mad props! Just kinda sad the ammo counter site is out of stock now.

The eFests are not bad, when paralleled. They have about 1200-1300 mAH, and a discharge rate of 8C. So they can put out about 10A continuous, give or take. I am sure they have twice that for burst. Any LiPo that will fit internally will be around the same specs.

Now, the second set of flywheels should be run off something better than a 9V, for sure. I think even another pair of eFests, but in series, should be really good. 9Vs are terrible batteries.

An ammo counter is a simple thing to build yourself if you just have infrared emitters and detectors and a micrcontroller, like say, an Arduino Mini Pro or something.

EDIT: Nice job on the afterburners, didn't know you were doing that. I'd like to try that some time.
Any chance you can have access to some kind of chronometer? I would trust fps numbers much more than ranges.

#335945 Nerf Rayven Tuneup (~Write up)

Posted by azrael on 15 December 2013 - 12:59 PM in Modifications

Afterburner is something I've seen people call a the mod where you add a second set of flywheels.

#327607 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 04 March 2013 - 02:15 PM in Homemades

A 3.2 decibel increase isn't that much is it? When people on YouTube put Trustfire batteries into their flywheel blasters, it usually sounds much worse.

You could cut down on vibration by putting some sheet rubber between the motors and the wood. When power tools such as a scroll saw are bolted to a workbench, that's what the owner's manual recommends doing to cut down on vibration and noise.

This prototype is pretty cool. It has some power in it. Posted Image

If you look up how the decibel system works, you'll see that a 3dB change is 2x greater than before. So it's pretty loud.

Very interesting work so far, could you give me some info on what motors you selected? You've gotten my interest up enough where I might do some testing of my own, after I finish some robot projects.

I imagine in an enclosed system lined with Dynamat, it might not be as noisy. And I agree, much of your vibrational noise may just be due to your setup.

#327630 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 04 March 2013 - 08:44 PM in Homemades

Current supply isn't an issue to me. I run 130 sized Tamiya motors, which are drawing probably somewhere like 5-10A at stall, at 4.2V. I use high discharge LiPos, so it's a none issue.

#328273 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 22 March 2013 - 12:21 PM in Homemades

There's a template for a magazine well on Nerf Rev, in the Revshot topic, I think.
It could easily be made from acrylic.

#327590 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 04 March 2013 - 12:01 AM in Homemades

Can you post a video? Are the motors quiet without flywheels?

#328862 Roughcut - 2x4 to 4x2 Mod + Bottle Cap Slamfire + Speed Loaders, For R

Posted by azrael on 18 April 2013 - 09:33 PM in Modifications

This is an idea that someone should really do on a 3D printer.[/img]

It has been done, I suggested it to the AFoN (I believe) store at randomhat.
http://shop.randomhat.net/index.php
I made a post about it on reddit, and they made one. I have two, actually. Bought one, and they sent me a free one to thank me for the idea. :0

#331531 PANB 870

Posted by azrael on 03 July 2013 - 12:15 PM in Homemades

I can't believe you actually got a tube magazine to work. There was a thread by Shadow, and it lasted for two years, just barely touching on successful prototypes. And you managed to do it with just pvc and paint sticks.

Now, how many darts does the magazine hold? What flaws can you currently find in the design and construction of the blaster? How reliable is the tube magazine?

I think on Nerf Rev he said about 5 darts, of this particular length, any more or any different sizes and it gets wonky.

#347589 Armageddon XVI

Posted by azrael on 01 July 2015 - 04:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Who's got the pics? I wanna see some! (wasn't there)

Here's one set of pics from bags:
https://www.facebook...12971555&type=3

#347534 Armageddon XVI

Posted by azrael on 29 June 2015 - 07:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Good times were had with my group!

Pros: Everything worked! So cool to see a lot of new faces and nerfers I've never met before.

Cons: Ever since my chrony broke, I've been a bit lax. Everything seemed to be shooting slower than I thought it was haha.

For next year, I'm going to actually build things in advance, instead of the week of the event, though haha.

#334271 Stryfe, Rayven, Rapidstrike walk into a bar...

Posted by azrael on 26 September 2013 - 02:44 PM in General Nerf

The Stryfe's flywheels are not heavy at all, kind of a light flexible plastic.
The Rayven's are significantly harder and heavier.

I think the flex is better for darts, myself.

#334287 Stryfe, Rayven, Rapidstrike walk into a bar...

Posted by azrael on 27 September 2013 - 03:57 PM in General Nerf

infamous and I have put PN motors in a Rayven, don't go with more than a 2s system, it spins fast enough to make the flywheels spin off and melt.

EDIT: TBH, if you wanna wait, may do a Rapidstrike guide this weekend. Have some cool ideas to implement.

#334294 Stryfe, Rayven, Rapidstrike walk into a bar...

Posted by azrael on 28 September 2013 - 12:17 AM in General Nerf

some of my test data

NO mod Stryfe/6V : 10M~15M = 30ft~50ft
NO mod Stryfe/13V :15M~25M = 50ft~80ft
Stryfe with Ranson/16V : 30M~38M = 100ft~125ft

So, 75ft/20M on the package is a Data on Paper, I think it is count in vacuum.

***RapidStrike mod is the most complex and the most valid !
Fps/Range is all level up!!!

Sorry, I find that 125 foot claim to be ridiculous hahah. Not possible.

I would rather see chronometer data (fps). There is too much possible interpretation with ranges.

#334285 Stryfe, Rayven, Rapidstrike walk into a bar...

Posted by azrael on 27 September 2013 - 12:44 PM in General Nerf

Ideally, one should use a diode drop to lower the voltage for the pusher mech, to make it slower, and still use one battery. Not too hard of a mod.

#330492 ESLT Blaster Build Guide

Posted by azrael on 02 June 2013 - 04:32 PM in Homemades

Very very cool. I have one thought, though...If it's 3D printed, why not design a more ergonomic handle? Is this just something designed to be universal, then? I know hand sizes vary a lot, so that would make sense.
Overall, very cool, really makes me think about building a homemade.

#328714 Rampage + Triad

Posted by azrael on 13 April 2013 - 09:28 AM in Modifications

Also, can you open the back of the triad still?

Yessir.

Duke, finally just made a write up here, eh? :D

#326127 Question to all you modders

Posted by azrael on 30 January 2013 - 12:19 PM in General Nerf

Close minded or I have 3 kids that lose the attachments to never be found again . Flywheels scare my kids and pets . We have to remember these are designed for children and not targeted towards the modding community unfortunatley. I help them upgrade the internals but the attachments serve no purpose for outr usage other then cosmetic . I use them in an office /warehouse close quarters set up .

I thought the stock Stryfe was very quiet. I have a dog, and any of my nerf guns scare him (not that I shoot him, he just doesn't like them). He particularly hates the Strongarm for some reason. But it serves him right for chewing up my darts hahah.

If I were to apply Dynamat to the innards to absorb vibrational noise, like I did with my modified one, I doubt the stock Stryfe would be noisy at all.

Personally, I like the N-strike clip system. I hope most of the new stuff will continue to use it. I just hope we will see a better design of the breech, I think it would not be difficult to redesign it to have a tighter air seal. I don't think it's too much to ask to have some metal innards, either. More specifically, stronger parts. This would allow the modding community to do more with stock parts, I think. I would love to see an automatic dart pusher like in the Stampede, but only if the gearing were metal.
I'd like to see more stocks, or at least ones that are slightly larger. It would be interesting to see them being sold separately.

Also, I hope to see more multi-shot guns like the Rough Cut, and more pump action stuff.

#326148 Question to all you modders

Posted by azrael on 30 January 2013 - 03:55 PM in General Nerf

Our stryfe and hailfire were both loud. Both look nice but i still like the air blasters and single shots. They've been shot plenty :)

Really? With no modifications, on normal batteries, my Stryfe was well below talking volume.
Using Dynamat or something cheaper would definitely make it quieter.

#331599 Armageddon XIV

Posted by azrael on 05 July 2013 - 11:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Out of curiosity, do glasses count for eye protection?

#331085 Armageddon XIV

Posted by azrael on 20 June 2013 - 03:05 PM in Nerf Wars

Bah, not looking forward to glue domes at all TBH hahah. Those things hurt.
Making some AMIORs in addition to the PAK D tipped darts I use.

#331046 Armageddon XIV

Posted by azrael on 19 June 2013 - 10:52 AM in Nerf Wars

The day is a-creeping. Looking forward to it, WARMUP should have been my first NIC, but I wasn't able to make it. Hope to see a bunch of people at this event!
Should be me +2.

#331317 Armageddon XIV

Posted by azrael on 27 June 2013 - 05:13 AM in Nerf Wars

What kind of blasters are people bringing?

#331378 Armageddon XIV

Posted by azrael on 28 June 2013 - 04:39 PM in Nerf Wars

Ahh, if I could get a wye locally, I could get a BBBB good to go.
Otherwise, I'll be using a brassed Alpha Trooper and a Supermaxx 1500.

Oh well.
Anyone going to be selling anything there?

#331601 Armageddon XIV

Posted by azrael on 05 July 2013 - 11:49 PM in Nerf Wars

Okay, awesome. Having trouble finding safety goggles that vent well and don't fog.
I might be using snickers/makeitgo style stefans with my hoppered BBBB (unplugged). Couldn't get it to feed right with felt tipped slugs or AMIORS, maybe youse guys there can shed some light on that.

#327259 3D printed Wye with a Gentler Slope and a Dart Ramp

Posted by azrael on 24 February 2013 - 03:04 PM in Darts and Barrels

Isn't injection molding crazy expensive?

#338068 The Rayven Dual-stage mod

Posted by azrael on 06 April 2014 - 04:04 AM in Modifications

Did you chrony it with that barrel extension on?

#328944 Nerf Elite Stryfe - Electrical Lock Removal

Posted by azrael on 22 April 2013 - 10:25 AM in Modifications

Teeth are the best wire strippers.

Also, heat-shrink tubing > electrical tape.

Brand new continuous wire that is properly rated for the current draw of higher powered or overvolted motors > heat shrink tubing over multiple bits of wire.

#335341 Nerf Zombie Strike HammerShot Mod Guide

Posted by azrael on 11 November 2013 - 09:29 PM in Modifications

Without the AR to align the dart chambers or automatic rotation, this seems quite bothersome.
I don't know why anyone would want to manually advance the cylinder like this.

#333652 Air Max 6 Mod Guide

Posted by azrael on 02 September 2013 - 01:51 PM in Modifications

Like I said, I'm getting over 100ft with stock streamlines and 5 pumps.

Good luck

Really? With the stock tank? I'm about to pop an older Panther in my Air Max 10.