azrael's Content

There have been 318 items by azrael (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#330035 Adding a RPM/Speed Controller to a Stryfe

Posted by azrael on 20 May 2013 - 02:03 PM in Modifications

Since RPM is something hard or maybe even impossible for most of Nerfers to determine, either a PTG range test or preferably an fps test would yield some relevant results.

Since the stall current draw of the RM2s at these voltages (3s) already significantly exceed the max current supply of Trustfires, and the controller can handle up to 10A, I don't think performance will change from similarly overvolted and motor replaced Stryfes.

#330027 Adding a RPM/Speed Controller to a Stryfe

Posted by azrael on 20 May 2013 - 11:25 AM in Modifications

The huge capacitor is to smooth out ripple and provide a stable transient response for the active circuit on the controller. I doubt it has anything to do with the lack of recovery time.
TBH, recovery time is something that is rather variable, depending on how rapid your shots are, I'm sure we all define it a bit differently.

I'm not a fan of where you mounted it, but there's not a lot of options, I guess haha. I probably would have mounted it on the outside in a secondary enclosure. Good stuff.

#329996 Charger Blue Rampage

Posted by azrael on 19 May 2013 - 05:43 PM in Modifications

No, but it's a good investment. I'm building one right now.

#329982 Charger Blue Rampage

Posted by azrael on 19 May 2013 - 11:43 AM in Modifications

I don't really understand the seemingly strict rules on HvZ I've seen. I feel like modifications should be limited by measuring fps with a chronometer, not by simply banning modifications outright.

#329826 Solving the #1 Angel Breech Problem

Posted by azrael on 14 May 2013 - 05:44 PM in Modifications

Depends on what kind of iron, and if you have the right tip. I'm pretty sure mine could. Just turn it up all the way to 900 degrees Fahrenheit. I use a Hakko FX-888.

#329819 Solving the #1 Angel Breech Problem

Posted by azrael on 14 May 2013 - 04:27 PM in Modifications

Discussing the technique is discussing the mod. His details reveal a lot about what was done here. So for this application, the torch was overkill. Anyone who wants to try your technique and verify it can use a soldering iron, if they use the same materials.

I don't know how well that solder will work, it's hard to say what that tensile strength really refers to. I've used solder of similar composition for electronics, and I can't say I would trust if it didn't have more of a mechanical bond. Like a slot that a rod would fit into, if that makes sense. That's a joint I would trust mechanically, especially to hold up under stress from a different direction.

Hopefully it holds up, but you said it yourself, it's a soft solder.

#329802 Solving the #1 Angel Breech Problem

Posted by azrael on 14 May 2013 - 12:44 PM in Modifications

What's the composition? I don't deny that there are legit hard solders out there, but it's important note exactly what you used if others are to use this as a guide.

#329700 Solving the #1 Angel Breech Problem

Posted by azrael on 12 May 2013 - 01:01 AM in Modifications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing

Which isn't soldering.
Look at all the filler metals listed, and then look at solder. It's made of lead/tin, usually. He says he's using silver solder, which usually contains maybe 3% silver.

Solder requires more of a mechanical connection/joint for it to be anything close to trustworthy for putting pressure on.

#329675 Solving the #1 Angel Breech Problem

Posted by azrael on 11 May 2013 - 05:57 PM in Modifications

Solder is not an adhesive. Let me know how well that works out in the long term.

#329598 EAT Giveaway

Posted by azrael on 10 May 2013 - 03:01 PM in General Nerf

I broke one of my EATs already.
I am a sad panda.

#329531 Charger Blue Rampage

Posted by azrael on 09 May 2013 - 07:37 AM in Modifications

Tbh, the "twirling edges" as you call the rifling, help dart stability, as far as I can tell. Darts are typically drag stabilized, but I do see crappy shots get corrected by spin sometimes.

If your real issue is shooting while turning, then you're better off using a blaster with no barrel. Of course the darts will hit the barrel if you turn. Your blaster continues moving with you, while the dart is moving in one direction, along one plane.

#329520 Charger Blue Rampage

Posted by azrael on 08 May 2013 - 11:40 PM in Modifications

er... these spring blasters don't push enough air for a tight barrel fit to help... It just makes it lose a lot of power.

How well does it work with your strip barrel design? There have been theories on the possible positive effects on porting barrels.

#329256 Pak Designs

Posted by azrael on 02 May 2013 - 12:10 PM in General Nerf

Thanks for the heads up about this. The better way to go is probably just to order their products from remedy metal.

Remedy metal doesn't have the hardware that PAK D makes, just yet.

#329235 How Elite is Elite?

Posted by azrael on 01 May 2013 - 07:37 PM in General Nerf

Chrony is decent, but it's not an accurate and/or universal measure either. You can still hit 100ft with 180fps, or 250fps... There's more to it than just how fast the dart is going.

It's a very real and definite way to determine how much a modification has improved the efficiency of a blaster. I said nothing of hitting 100ft, unless I'm mistaken?
It's accurate if you do it correct. Not everyone does it correctly.

I've seen many range tests where people do not even have the gun PTG, and call it as PTG ranges.

#329225 Air Zone Turbo Fire Modification Write-up

Posted by azrael on 01 May 2013 - 02:19 PM in Modifications

Regarding HvZers' experience, It might be an effect called muzzle blast.

Link to a Chicago style hopper?

#329222 How Elite is Elite?

Posted by azrael on 01 May 2013 - 12:09 PM in General Nerf

80 feet with the an AT? I dunno...Shouldn't be possible with a reverse plunger with just a stronger spring. Who knows how wind or bouncing is affecting measurement.

TBH, I'm a bit over ranges. I don't really trust people's measurements anymore. I feel like the only accurate and universal measure of performance is the use a chronometer.

Would have been better to compare a non-elite retaliator rather than an AT; different blasters have different performance anyway so it's not a valid test of elite vs. non-elite.

Most of the difference in Elite blasters is also the darts, so I'm not surprised. If you compared elite/non-elite same-model blaster with the darts they came with, the results would favor the elite. I imagine that giving both blasters elite darts would still favor the elite slightly, since they are supposed to have minor upgrades over the non-elite versions.

lolwut. The direct plungers make a fairly significant difference, it's not just darts.
I think it's an okay test, since most of the reverse plunger blasters have nearly identical internals/plunger volumes.

#329221 Air Zone Turbo Fire Modification Write-up

Posted by azrael on 01 May 2013 - 12:04 PM in Modifications

I've noticed that the darts are the important part in accuracy, streamlines will be shit from any length barrel, well made stefans will be lasers with almost any well-fitting barrel.

Actually, lately I've been doubting the accuracy of standard size stefans. I've been making darts that are 50mm long, and seem to have better luck with those, at least in my partial brass breech setups. Perhaps stefans made with metal weights are pretty accurate, but I prefer not to use those. 50mm darts with a rubber/silicone tip seem to be the optimum amount of length for proper drag stabilization in dart flight. The metal washer type stefans just have such an overwhelming weight that it doesn't matter how long they are.

Anyway, off topic!

#329200 Air Zone Turbo Fire Modification Write-up

Posted by azrael on 30 April 2013 - 03:42 PM in Modifications

How to add a barrel if you went AT2k route, though? Fired straight from the dart turret, I would think it would be wildly inaccurate.

#329196 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by azrael on 30 April 2013 - 10:37 AM in Modifications

Where did you get this? Looks very different to the numbers listed on Pololu and other sites...

#329182 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by azrael on 29 April 2013 - 08:15 PM in Modifications

1. The RM2 motor specs for 6v so you're giving patently false info about that.
2. I did measure fps using a ballistics chronograph and they definitely are stronger then the stock motors, volt for volt. Compare apples to apples.

Lying about what? I've seen the table for 1-9 volts, and even at 3-4V, stall current already exceeds the current supply limitations of a Trustfire/NiMh. You can definitely run them higher, but apparently the brushes are complete shit, so I don't think it's smart to run them that much higher.

What numbers? I've never seen any real numbers from you.
torukmakto gave me numbers.
At the same voltages, it was maybe a 2-5 fps increase from stock. I trust him a lot more than you, he's a reputable nerfer on HvZ forums.

#329124 PETG Sellers

Posted by azrael on 28 April 2013 - 04:20 AM in Off Topic

No need to buy in bulk from McMaster, I only order small amounts at a time.

#329122 Air Zone Turbo Fire Modification Write-up

Posted by azrael on 28 April 2013 - 01:54 AM in Modifications

Dang, I think it looks kinda cool. Shame ranges are poop.

#329095 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by azrael on 27 April 2013 - 02:37 PM in Modifications

Tamya Plasma dash motors. SG nerf uses them to compare stock motors. I did a thread on them. Just search "Nerf gun motors, problems and solutions"
They are very good, I use them I'n my barricades. I run 9v on them and they work fine and have been for over 2 months now.

Lol, you're not providing them with the current they want. I guarantee you that if you run them with the proper battery, it will have very different performance. I have used them, they are RIDICULOUSLY fast.

Trustfires and NiMhs do NOT provide enough current for any of these motors. Even the RM2s.
The RM2s should probably only be run on a 1s system.

But torukmakto did some FPS tests, these don't seem to be any better than stock anyway. Duke_W has seen the same reports I have.

If you do use Plasma Dashes with the right batteries, you will need a better switching system. I haven't gotten to using a relay system yet. Will soon, after some robotics projects are done.

#329094 RoughCut 4x4 "Dudley"

Posted by azrael on 27 April 2013 - 02:32 PM in Modifications

Nice!

Any chance of a firing video?

#329026 Engineering Nerf guns

Posted by azrael on 24 April 2013 - 10:42 PM in Darts and Barrels

Oooh. What's been updated? I think I first found your Nerf Ballistics Physics awesomeness about two months ago?

Really enjoyed it, mostly because a lot of it either confirmed some of my theories or gave me a new way of thinking about things.

#328944 Nerf Elite Stryfe - Electrical Lock Removal

Posted by azrael on 22 April 2013 - 10:25 AM in Modifications

Teeth are the best wire strippers.

Also, heat-shrink tubing > electrical tape.

Brand new continuous wire that is properly rated for the current draw of higher powered or overvolted motors > heat shrink tubing over multiple bits of wire.

#328862 Roughcut - 2x4 to 4x2 Mod + Bottle Cap Slamfire + Speed Loaders, For R

Posted by azrael on 18 April 2013 - 09:33 PM in Modifications

This is an idea that someone should really do on a 3D printer.[/img]

It has been done, I suggested it to the AFoN (I believe) store at randomhat.
http://shop.randomhat.net/index.php
I made a post about it on reddit, and they made one. I have two, actually. Bought one, and they sent me a free one to thank me for the idea. :0

#328714 Rampage + Triad

Posted by azrael on 13 April 2013 - 09:28 AM in Modifications

Also, can you open the back of the triad still?

Yessir.

Duke, finally just made a write up here, eh? :D

#328273 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 22 March 2013 - 12:21 PM in Homemades

There's a template for a magazine well on Nerf Rev, in the Revshot topic, I think.
It could easily be made from acrylic.

#328272 A Clip for Elite Darts?

Posted by azrael on 22 March 2013 - 11:17 AM in Modifications

Where did you buy your brass from? Not all brass is meant to telescope cleanly, or it may need polishing before it works.

I see no reason why an inline clips doesn't work, but it's so much deadspace with a full length dart.

#328013 Image of New Elite Blaster

Posted by azrael on 14 March 2013 - 07:45 PM in General Nerf

From looking at the image, I can see the bulges near the front of the blaster that are much akin to those on the Stryfe and Rayven. Right where the orange tac rail on the side is. These "bulges" are the cavities for the flywheel compartment. I am pretty sure this is a flywheel blaster. I personally love flywheels.

True, I see that now.

I like my Stryfe a lot, I suppose my main issue is this: What separates this from the Stryfe, really? I get a really nice RoF with my Stryfe, full auto isn't a big selling point for me.
With a reinforced Recon stock, it's pretty comfy, too.

#328009 Image of New Elite Blaster

Posted by azrael on 14 March 2013 - 06:31 PM in General Nerf

I just remembered MLD's first post about the Centurion. He mistakenly described it as a full auto blaster with a 3 round burst option - then retracted that info and corrected himself.

This could be that blaster, and that might be what the secondary trigger is! This gives me hope that it's not flywheel.

#327925 Nerf Elite Strongarm Clip Mod

Posted by azrael on 12 March 2013 - 03:08 PM in Modifications

One would expect that you must apply approximately 59 Newtons to prime it.

Ha ha. thanks for the conversion of units. :P
I was hoping to see if maybe I just installed it wrong or something, or maybe my gun is messed up. The sliding mech doesn't catch on the tube anymore really, or at least it pops off due to the amount of force the spring exerts.

There's just been a couple of issues I've had with mine, tried rebarreling one barrel with the polyester tubing on mcmaster, and that didn't go over well, actually resulted in a loss of range - possibly due to the fact that the plunger only forms a temporary seal with the barrel. But I've seen people doing it with CPVC, so I dunno what's up.

Welp, just kinda rambling now.

#327878 Nerf Elite Strongarm Clip Mod

Posted by azrael on 11 March 2013 - 04:57 AM in Modifications

How hard is it to prime with the 6kg spring? I found it crazy hard, really easy for the priming mech to not catch the plunger, too.

#327630 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 04 March 2013 - 08:44 PM in Homemades

Current supply isn't an issue to me. I run 130 sized Tamiya motors, which are drawing probably somewhere like 5-10A at stall, at 4.2V. I use high discharge LiPos, so it's a none issue.

#327607 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 04 March 2013 - 02:15 PM in Homemades

A 3.2 decibel increase isn't that much is it? When people on YouTube put Trustfire batteries into their flywheel blasters, it usually sounds much worse.

You could cut down on vibration by putting some sheet rubber between the motors and the wood. When power tools such as a scroll saw are bolted to a workbench, that's what the owner's manual recommends doing to cut down on vibration and noise.

This prototype is pretty cool. It has some power in it. Posted Image

If you look up how the decibel system works, you'll see that a 3dB change is 2x greater than before. So it's pretty loud.

Very interesting work so far, could you give me some info on what motors you selected? You've gotten my interest up enough where I might do some testing of my own, after I finish some robot projects.

I imagine in an enclosed system lined with Dynamat, it might not be as noisy. And I agree, much of your vibrational noise may just be due to your setup.

#327590 Homemade flywheel gun

Posted by azrael on 04 March 2013 - 12:01 AM in Homemades

Can you post a video? Are the motors quiet without flywheels?

#327513 New Method for Reducing the Internal Diameter of PETG

Posted by azrael on 03 March 2013 - 12:57 AM in Darts and Barrels

A hot air gun would probably work much better than a lighter, I might try this with mine.

#327512 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by azrael on 03 March 2013 - 12:53 AM in Modifications

Plastidip eventually wears off, though, and the dart buildup does still occur so any balancing is probably going to be temporary in a Stryfe or any flywheel blaster, really.

#327510 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by azrael on 03 March 2013 - 12:49 AM in Modifications

Bobololo, it still happens with plastidip, but I would say to a lesser degree.