Aeromech's Content

There have been 378 items by Aeromech (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#307953 Buzz Bee Rogue Mod

Posted by Aeromech on 01 December 2011 - 08:40 AM in Modifications

I really like this. With some fortifications and additional improvements, you've got a mini-quadshot on your hands.

Are you aware of springs that would fit inside the PT? Rather, what is the ID of the PT?

#307882 Superior Missile Blaster

Posted by Aeromech on 28 November 2011 - 07:51 PM in Modifications

How many pumps does it take to fill all the tanks on this monster?

Very good work using that empty space inside the shell.

#307567 Maverick turret speedloader

Posted by Aeromech on 20 November 2011 - 01:07 AM in Modifications

If you need a speedloader, Venom213 sells high quality barrel spacers which could also be used for this application without the need to scrap a Maverick. Not that the Maverick would be missed...

EDIT: My bad, if the turret was scrap already then this is just being efficient.

#307335 Long Strike Problam

Posted by Aeromech on 14 November 2011 - 12:18 PM in Modifications

If you upgraded your seal, there may be too much friction for the stock spring. Also, stretching your springs weakens it over time. Did you relube the o-ring when you replaced the plunger tube?

This addresses the overall poor ranges of the Longstrike, but not the discrepancy between single-loading and clip fed ranges. Could the dart tooth be malfunctioning, and not pushing the dart into the breech? Did you remove it, thinking it was a lock?

Again, you have the physical blaster, and therefore a better vantage point than most of us here to tackle your precise problem.

#307307 Raider drum problems

Posted by Aeromech on 13 November 2011 - 01:04 PM in General Nerf

Since you cannot post pictures and don't seem to know what's actually going on inside your drum:

Search for Raider drum internals on this site and on the internet in general. Learn why the Raider drum works the way it does. From here on there are a limited number of things that could cause your drum to malfunction. Open your drum and figure out which one of these problems is causing the malfunction. Post your results here.

I really don't see the issue here. If your drum is broken, use that thing above your shoulders and fix it.

#307058 Alternative Ammo

Posted by Aeromech on 06 November 2011 - 10:05 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would love to move away from foam darts, and towards some more durable or easy to produce ammo. One thing I would be concerned about is making ammo which is too good. Part of what makes nerf fun is the relatively shitty performance of the blasters. Right now, the ammo we use effectively caps performance at 100-150ft, and accuracy is pretty abysmal. New ammo such as this would probably raise the performance bar - but would that make the game more or less fun?

The hell with how fun it would be, how dangerous would it be? Or better yet, how dangerous would it make us be percieved?

Based on the war threads posted in the last few years, there seems to be a trend: most have moved away from allowing traditional stefans to be used and now allow slugs or some safer alternative. The projectiles mentioned in this thread would at the very least need to be padded somehow.

The sport already has a generally negative connotation with press and parents. Even a heavily modified or homemade blaster still fires a projectile that is mostly soft FBR. If a passerby was to stop you and ask what you were doing while using this type of ammunition, you could no longer truthfully say that your "toy" launches harmless Non-Expanding Recreation Foam at other human beings. If we can't call it a NERF blaster to the general public, who is already largely ignorant of how harmless our sport is, perhaps we should continue the current trend of erring on the side of caution with our ammunition.

#307004 Pump action spectre

Posted by Aeromech on 05 November 2011 - 07:00 PM in Modifications

The idea is novel. The execution is... sloppy to say the least.

While using the materials you had on hand may have been quick and easy, the design does not look very sturdy at all. The wood is very thin at some points; it seems like a 12 inch long splinter waiting to happen. The grip itself appears to be made of a cardboard-like material, and the priming bars are taped onto that. The wooden bars also don't seem to be held on very well to the original priming mechanism.

Next time might I suggest:
-Using PVC for the forward grip.
-Using PVC, metal, or a stronger wood than paint stirrers for priming bars.
-Securing the priming bars to the forward grip with solvent weld, epoxies, or screws.
-Securing the priming bars to the original priming handle with bolts and reinforced with an adhesive. Or remove it entirely.

I don't wish to sound as though I'm flaming you. I'm merely offering my constructive criticism. This is a great idea, and I would love for it to be carried out to its fullest potential.

#306940 Big Salvo tank on SSPB Body

Posted by Aeromech on 04 November 2011 - 01:16 PM in Modifications

Something that big would take at least 100 pumps to fill. My Secret Strike Pocket Hornets (Tiny Tim Mk.2's) take 22-24 pumps to fill, and those are relatively tiny hornet tanks. I can't see this popping the OPRV in any fewer than 50 pumps. That said, I love that you took this to the next level, props.

So how many pumps does this actually take to fill?

Excellent work, by the way. I can see shotgun loading this and affixing it to a forearm-brace for use in a last-resort situation Assassin's Creed style.

#306879 Recon slam-fire Mod

Posted by Aeromech on 03 November 2011 - 02:16 PM in Modifications

The problem with any slamfire gun, even if they still have standard fire, is that they're too jerky to be used in an outdoor war by themselves. And why would you want to decrease the accuracy of a recon when you could just buy a speedload 6? They already do this, and they cost $5 less than a full recon.

It is not the slamfire itself that makes a blaster "inaccurate." It is human error which makes the blaster less accurate, as high ROF generated by a rapid back-and-forth priming action will upset one's aim, and in a situation where high dart output is required, accuracy may not be terribly important. (I know certain stock Nerf darts are inaccurate, but for argument's sake, I'm suggesting they will fly in a relatively straight line. This argument would be better suited when using a more powerful blaster capable of firing stefans.)

Mechanically speaking, making a blaster slamfire capable should in no way affect the accuracy or ranges experienced by said blaster.

#306872 Recon slam-fire Mod

Posted by Aeromech on 03 November 2011 - 12:22 PM in Modifications

So every time you Prime the blaster forward, at the last instant of forward travel, the new trigger part is pulled forward slightly. The rear triangular section of the trigger assembly moves forward, and forces the trigger plate upward, releasing the reverse-plunger tube, and firing the blaster. Correct?

I am not a huge fan of the "slamfire only" fire mode of this blaster, If I successfully slamfire-mod a Recon, I would like to try to preserve the traditional mode of fire, although this would be quite a challenge. It's pretty cramped in there.

Still, this is very innovative. Good work, and nice write up. Try to be a bit more descriptive if you can, though the pictures helped very much.

#306663 FNG Spec Double Shot

Posted by Aeromech on 29 October 2011 - 10:51 AM in Modifications

hey guys, here's a double shot i did a couple of weeks ago

to start with, i cut the barrel down and converted it to rear cocking. i know most people think the folding cocking thing is the coolest bit of the double shot, but i didn't like it all that much, and it made the blaster a real pain to re-assemble

So what exactly is the point of this post? All of these mods can already be found in the modification directory. There's a pictures thread here for a reason.

Correct capitalization would also be nice. Not painting your blaster black would be even better.

#306615 Need suggestions for Longshot mod (and a bit of another)

Posted by Aeromech on 28 October 2011 - 01:11 PM in Modifications

I've looked around a bit, and some big mods I found are the Angel Breech, Bolt sled reinforcement, and the Mod collection by thedom21.

If you are making a Slamfire capable Longshot, it will be necessary to cannibalize a Raider for it's slamfire mechanism. With some slight mods it could be made to function again, but realize that takes away the Raider's only real advantage. Also, from constructing the original slamfire LS, I can tell you alot of work and alterations to the shell are necessary to make this possible, though thedom21 does a good job of explaining it. Just know what you are getting into if you are attempting this.

As for suggestions on what to do with it: it depends on what you are going for, ie: ROF, range, versatility, etc. I would recommend the Slamfire mod and a moderate spring combo for a good balance, but understand the slamfire feature is essentially useless without some sort of foregrip. It's ALOT of work, and a big time investment.

Best wishes on your mods.

#306488 Shorty Maverick

Posted by Aeromech on 24 October 2011 - 11:35 PM in Modifications

Your video does a good job showcasing the whole of the blaster; the turret looks very clean. I'm glad someone figured out how to rear-load this thing as well. I personally dislike the Maverick but cosmetically this is beautiful.

Nice innovation and nice mod.

#306367 Please Stop the Insanity

Posted by Aeromech on 23 October 2011 - 12:10 PM in Site Feedback

TaerKitty: I feel your pain undoubtedly. I lurked this site for three years before joining, and I think you certainly have a point.

From my experience in lurking this site, however, I understand that these radical suggestions are not ours to make. Vacc or Talio once stated that this site is governed in a totalitarian manner; it is different from other free for all sites. If this is what they want to do that is not something we lose our heads about. Keep reporting the bad threads and let the admins deal with the garbage.

Someone on this post also stated that they are only 12. That is not an excuse. Regardless of your age, these simple rules must be followed. End of story.

#306365 nerf warz va

Posted by Aeromech on 23 October 2011 - 11:43 AM in Nerf Wars

Might be a good idea to include some stipulation in regards to eye protection, especially when allowing relatively "heavy" modifications to blasters.

#305891 Nerf ''FN P90''

Posted by Aeromech on 15 October 2011 - 12:00 AM in Modifications

Paint that thing hot pink right now! Black/dark gray nerf blasters are never a good way to go. At least keep the tip orange, though in my opinion that's not enough.

Anyway, I do think it's a very creative cosmetic enhancement. The deploy stock and firefly handle offer huge amounts of extra room, I see a lot of potential for LEDs and other cosmetic mods to be integrated into the shell, if you have the desire and/or time.

#305442 CS-70 Marauder

Posted by Aeromech on 06 October 2011 - 03:13 PM in Modifications

Very nice work. Even if it's not necessarily "practical" it certainly looks like a fun blaster. Good job on the write up.

#303468 [Help] Stampede mod gone wrong?

Posted by Aeromech on 17 August 2011 - 08:12 PM in Modifications

Even with brand new batteries, the six D batteries in the stock electrical setup only yield 9 volts of potential to your motor. If you have replaced the stock spring with a stronger one, it may be a good idea to perform a voltage mod. Nothing too crazy, as it seems to be just short of functioning.

Also, re-greasing the O-ring couldn’t hurt. = )