Spoon's Content

There have been 516 items by Spoon (Search limited from 13-May 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#3689 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 20 April 2003 - 01:18 AM in Modifications

You need to pry off the circular blue caps on each side near the rear (at the fulcrum of the handle), there are screws underneath both caps.

#3673 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 19 April 2003 - 06:02 PM in Modifications

It'd be less shabby if you modded the gun with more effort. You're wasting about 4" of barrel length behind that crayola that's just decreasing the pressure of your shot.

#3790 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 22 April 2003 - 01:07 AM in Modifications

The First Shot seems pretty underpowered, especially compared to it's bigger brother. I doubt it has the air capacity or power to fire megas very well. Perhaps micros in brass, since there'd be less mass to move and less friction, will have better results.

#3806 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 22 April 2003 - 03:40 PM in Modifications

Yea Hubbard got that. I dunno, it seems ok....still a bit underpowered compared to the Max Shot.

#965 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Spoon on 28 January 2003 - 04:38 AM in Nerf Wars

Yea there was the girl pole dancing, the girl sun bathing on the picnic bench, the girl that Jon brought, and Jenny who actually kicked ass the entire war.

Vacc is right though, a 45 person war is just plain not fun. It's an experience certainly.....I'll have to agree with Cxwq that with the people around us and their maturity and skilly levels, and the area we play in generally, 14-20 people is absolutely perfect. I wouldn't want to be in a >20 person Nerf war again I don't think. I certainly wouldn't want to run one.

#3922 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 24 April 2003 - 02:38 PM in Modifications

Vassilli: Thats probably because you left a pretty small hole for the air to come out of. The TS's barrels are really thin, too thin I think to provide enough power for a brass barrel.

#3665 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 19 April 2003 - 01:57 PM in Modifications

I dunno, I've always been a bit distrustful of those contractor wheel things....I think it's very easy to wobble a bit and NOT get a straight line thereby increasing the reported distance. Still, it's good for a relatively accurate estimate.

#3713 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 20 April 2003 - 08:03 PM in Modifications

Excellent job, as always. My only worry is that the coupler will eventually be ripped off as you pull off the barrel. In my experience PVC couplers fit pretty tightly with their corresponding pipe size. Hot glue is shit for strength, so I guess it depends on how tight you fit the coupler on over the taped end. Still, I really like how you used the PVC to facilitate the removable barrel. I'm still holding out for a better breech loader however....

I also didn't choose to remove the gun's safety, as once the safety piece got stuck and the handle crashed into my head upon firing accidentally. It hurt. I havn't noticed any jamming problems with the piece so I'll leave it in.

Did you do much testing with different ratios of 9/16" to 17/32"? I wonder if 2" of constriction is optimal for this gun.

#3659 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 19 April 2003 - 02:07 AM in Modifications

As far as I remember it HIT the wall with a more or less level shot (maybe 5 degrees or so), and went over it at an angle. I doubt that's 200 feet or so, although we never did find that second dart. I think from the tables to the wall is just about 100 feet, MAYBE 120. That or my vision is starting to go.....

#3608 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 18 April 2003 - 02:23 AM in Modifications

You're right, this gun IS the real shit. I now have a Max Shot and a First Shot (my TRU totally restocked all Nerf and X-Stream guns). I havn't modded either yet but I opened the MS up and inspected things for a good long while. Holy God, this thing is built like a tank. I mean you could hammer NAILS with the plunger. It has cap pieces to keep the springs from exploding everywhere upon opening. Everything is solid and reinforced. I mean this thing is engineered the way WE would want a gun engineered.

Cxwq: You're method is exactly what I was thinking, using the 17/32" brass piece as a connector between the white barrel and the 9/16". My only worry then is that the only way you'd be able to do a breech loader is by removing the barrel Ray-style and loading directly into the 17/32", which I don't like. I'm still holding out for a true breech loader. Still, I can't wait to see the mod results. Jordan is already eyeing this as his new main weapon and I can't blame him.

On a side note: I got Steph two AT2k's for her birthday (19, woo), so you can count on getting pelted by those this June.

#3594 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 17 April 2003 - 09:29 PM in Modifications

Jordan and I will be going to TRU tonight to try and pick them up, although I was in TRU a week or so ago and don't remember seeing them....Our TRU sucks. I'm very eager to get my hands on these guns.

#3646 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 18 April 2003 - 08:38 PM in Modifications

Vassilli: Yes.

Cxwq: I don't know about 150 feet but I'd be willing to bet that the velocities are a lot higher on a 5K, seeing as how the pressure is much higher. I'm actually suprised that these guns are firing this far. Still, we'll have to keep an eye next war on the Max Shot's and make sure they're ok.

Also, we need to be a bit tighter when it comes to eye protection at the war. Everyone had some when they got there, but some people would take them off some wars. I didn't even realize it at the time, but looking back I can remember several instances where people were going without eyewear for a battle or two. Not maliciously, they would just forget (just like I'd forget to say something). That shot I had on Cam (50 feet, thwacked DIRECTLY into his glasses from a brass 3K) only reinforces how vigilent we should be. Especially now since we'll be seeing QUITE a few 100ft+ guns next war. We also need to mention up front to attendees that it is NOT ok to purposefully aim for the head. It's not the vets I worry about, it's the kids.

#3631 X*stream Modification

Posted by Spoon on 18 April 2003 - 03:13 PM in Modifications

Holy Shit.

I'm running to the store to pick up some more 17/32" brass today, I'm going to do the same mod, although I may experiment a bit with barrel and telescoping section lengths. I'd also like to do a breech loader. Kevin, do you think these guns will be TOO powerful for the YANOs? I mean most brass 5K's can't even do 120 feet flat.....

Gunned Down: The red barrel is just a piece that you can remove when you open the gun up (it's pretty easy to open up). Once the red piece is removed, the base of the white barrel, where it hits the compression chamber, is RIGHT on the front of the gun. Once you remove the red piece you can put the gun back together and do a complete barrel change mod without having to open it up again. Breech loaders shouldn't be as hard either since everything will be external of the gun casing. I can't wait, I'm modding mine today. Jordan and I are also scouting locations today Kevin, we'll take little video clips of any good ones to show you.

#63055 Fall Caff

Posted by Spoon on 05 September 2005 - 03:43 AM in Nerf Wars

Ah crap, more bad news guys. Matt and I are out. Sorry to bail at the last minute, I try to never do this but life intervenes. Good luck with the war and hopefully I'll catch you guys at the next one!

Damn.....I really wanted to shoot somebody in the neck too.

#63011 Fall Caff

Posted by Spoon on 04 September 2005 - 12:49 AM in Nerf Wars

Updated head count is Me and Matt Kashuba for sure, possibly my brother Jordan.

#62568 Fall Caff

Posted by Spoon on 26 August 2005 - 02:52 AM in Nerf Wars

Ahhh... at the moment I'm thinking I probably won't make it.

You're welcome to come get the pyramids from me to use for the war though. Just bring them to the October YANO.

Don't feel left out, Josh. Spoon has a crush on you.

That was OUR SECRET!!

You're a very bad man for not making it. Don't leave me alone with these people!

#61978 Fall Caff

Posted by Spoon on 15 August 2005 - 12:15 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't see those pictures, but I do hope you're not naked in them.

#62590 Fall Caff

Posted by Spoon on 27 August 2005 - 04:23 AM in Nerf Wars

Oh keep your panties on, of course I'm still coming! God you guys are all so sensitive.....

#60768 Fall Caff

Posted by Spoon on 01 August 2005 - 06:07 AM in Nerf Wars

Yeah I could do that. I'd be bringing my usual posse (Kashuba, Hubbard, Jason, new girl Jenna) plus or minus one. Keep me posted (a pun!).

#76689 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 17 March 2006 - 10:22 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there. For realZ this time.

#78018 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 29 March 2006 - 07:19 AM in Nerf Wars

OMFG Ray.....I'm glad you're not dead!

Bring your walker to Armageddon so we can all laugh at you.

If the road to recovery gets rough....take heart in the knowledge that you are now, officially, a cyborg. A fact which inspires jealousy from many in the general public.

#74612 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 28 February 2006 - 06:18 AM in Nerf Wars

Works for me at the moment.

#80076 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 16 April 2006 - 12:40 AM in Nerf Wars

It wouldn't have been so awkward if you'd just said "yes".

#8100 August YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 12 August 2003 - 01:15 AM in Nerf Wars

Right. 9-5. Just like I said. Err.....yeah.

#8062 August YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 11 August 2003 - 03:07 PM in Nerf Wars

AFAIK it will be 10am-6pm (8 hours), and it will definately be at the same place.

#7442 August YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 28 July 2003 - 06:31 PM in Nerf Wars

Wow, that sucks. Like, hard. When are you getting a car? You need to get a car so you can come nerf with us. You also need to quit all of your extracurricular activities so you can be available more often.

Nice to see everyone from the SM crew being their normal selves.

#6953 August YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 13 July 2003 - 01:35 PM in Nerf Wars

Yea ok if need be I can probably do the 30th. Definately not the 23rd.

#8156 August YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 13 August 2003 - 03:45 PM in Nerf Wars

Can you shoot me next time Ray? It really hurts when you do that. It hurts so good....

I've been working out 4 days a week for 90 mins a day for 6 weeks now. I'm trying to get back into shape (muscular and cardiovascular), and I'm doing pretty well so I should be able to keep up with you hyperactive 10 year olds a little better this time. I'm going to be so freakishly huge by next Armageddon that I'm going to nerf shirtless so you all will be able to cower in fear at the sight of my bronzed, sculpted body. Merely by flexing my pectoral muscle I'll be able to deflect a dart back at the shooter at twice the original velocity.

#6892 August YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 11 July 2003 - 08:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Yea Armageddons happen once a year, ever summer and are (usually, ahem) when one or more of the Horsemen fly out. This year we had to settle for Groove. YANOs (formerly LANOs) however are every other month, therefore the next one will be in August. I believe, and Cxwq will have to correct me on this, that we are tentatively thinking second weekend in August would be good. I myself will be busy or out of town the last two weekends in August. Stay tuned here for more info.

If however you're going to be in town before that, just let us know on the boards ahead of time and we can probably get a small, impromptu war going.

#2444 War On Iraq

Posted by Spoon on 20 March 2003 - 12:15 PM in Off Topic

Bah, I hate discussing crap like this. My girlfriend and I actually got in a fight last night over this goddamn Iraq thing. She has two good friends who are being sent over, and she's scared to death. I wish I had stronger opinions on the whole thing, but frankly I just don't. This just isn't a subject I think about very often because it does not directly affect me, at least not in any way I can directly perceive. I think that makes me a bad person or something. How about I go take a nap and someone wakes me when this whole mess is over?

#2532 War On Iraq

Posted by Spoon on 21 March 2003 - 10:28 PM in Off Topic

I havn't read or heard anything about Iraq launching any Scuds in the last few days, where are you getting this from?

#72319 Next Yano

Posted by Spoon on 04 February 2006 - 10:18 PM in Nerf Wars

All of your Saturdays are out for the next seven weeks? Ouch.

Steph and I will definitely be there. Matt Kashuba isn't coming back this semester so he's out. I'll see if Hubbard can come.

In other news.....Steph and I will take on any other Guy+Girlfriend team and will kick their ass.

#71588 Next Yano

Posted by Spoon on 24 January 2006 - 04:06 PM in Nerf Wars

First off, I'd just like to state that I never refused to attend another YANO unless the location changed. It was merely a strict request.

That said, Glendora is just dandy with me. The location pics and urban area look good. Not many of us are even from Orange County anymore anyway.

February is a bit tough for me as I'm on a shoot, so the first weekend I'd be available would be Feb 24th-25th. March is totally open but I don't want to wait that long if I don't have to.

#72009 Next Yano

Posted by Spoon on 31 January 2006 - 05:25 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the delay in responding. The 26th is a go. I'll see who else I can bring. See you guys there!

#85448 Armageddon Recap Thread

Posted by Spoon on 21 July 2006 - 02:01 AM in Nerf Wars

As much as I love to poke fun at Falcon (and believe me, I do love it so) I have to wonder what the BFD is? I didn't notice him (or anyone for that matter) taking things too seriously at the war. For all his "intensity", he's not the one bitching about "West coast tactics" and teammates not following in lock-step with their leaders. Because I am obviously the B3ST NERFER EVAR!!!11!, let me provide you with my fully researched dissertation on West coast tacitcs:

1. Try to shoot the enemy.
2. When you get your ass shot off, try to get your teammates to help you.
3. If they don't, call them homosexuals.
4. Repeat.

None of us out here (again, except for Falcon) Nerf anywhere near often enough to develop any kind of team-spirit or tactical sensibility. Also, we're all hippies. Again perhaps I had my "stupid asshole" glasses on that day, but I really never noticed anybody not counting hits either, except for the expected one or two disagreements. Then again, it wasn't like my slow ass was lasting till the end of every round....but still, it all seemed pretty par for the course.

I would also like to join Cxwq in commending Falcon on finding some fucking awesome war locations. Despite the hassle some people faced in getting there, that school was worth it, and in the end everyone made it anyway. If a couple mom's had to get bent out of shape in the process, then that's just the sacrifice one pays to have the privelege of Nerfing with me.

Now then, onto the real purpose of this post:

Awesome war everyone. This war reminded me what I had been missing the last 6-odd months and I deeply regretted the fact that I had to leave a bit early and miss the afterparty. Believe me, after mixing pheromones with you people all day, the one thing I truly wanted to do was to go watch all of you be stupid together.

It was great seeing everyone again, especially Groove (who, like it or not, is a regular now). It was also nice re-meeting OMC and Kuhlshrank who both seem like really cool guys and were a lot of fun to Nerf with.

Now then, to properly get things started for next year:

East Coaster's have sex with animals. ALL THE TIME.

#88638 Armageddon Recap Thread

Posted by Spoon on 31 August 2006 - 03:21 AM in Nerf Wars

Haha that video is awesome. I don't remember the war being quite that "Effeminate", but I do think we should just play that music looped for the entirety of the next war.

I was sad that I had to leave before the last battle, that was really a great war. One of the best Armageddons yet IMO.

#52212 Caff - California Foam Fest

Posted by Spoon on 11 April 2005 - 02:48 AM in Nerf Wars

Damn, haven't seen you in a while, Spoon. I thought you were dead... or in portugal. One or the other.

Not dead. I generally give a quick once over to the boards every couple days. Film school is killing me, wringing me like a sponge, squeezing all of my life and vitality right out. Last semester though. After I shoot and finish my thesis film this summer I'm all done and can finally get started on unemployment, poverty, and my inevitable, humiliating degredation as I go work at Hollywood Video to pay my rent.

PS: Add me to the attendance list, fuck this tentative crap. School's out by then, and god knows I won't be doing much on a Monday.....Holy crap I gotta find new guns and mod them in the next 6 weeks. The war sounds awesome.

#51761 Caff - California Foam Fest

Posted by Spoon on 06 April 2005 - 06:47 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh right...the pictures. Yeah we have those. I'll send them to your gmail account. Uhh, sorry.

#55903 Caff - California Foam Fest

Posted by Spoon on 28 May 2005 - 09:28 PM in Nerf Wars

This is still happening, right?

#51241 Caff - California Foam Fest

Posted by Spoon on 01 April 2005 - 04:30 AM in Nerf Wars

Looks awesome, I'd like to go. That's two days after my birthday (23 yay!). I'll be deep in pre-production for my thesis film then but if I can I'll try to go.

Ugh, ALL of my primary guns are broken. Damn.