Y-Brik's Content

There have been 145 items by Y-Brik (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#287930 Illinois Foam Fest 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 November 2010 - 06:27 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll try, though Sunday wars are best held after noon for me. White foam will suck here depending on snowfall!
[/quote] Are marshmallows acceptable ammunition?[quote]
Seconded! Though frozen mallows may be a bit painful!

#287878 We Report Range, Why Not Velocity?

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 November 2010 - 09:36 PM in Off Topic

Here's the thing you're missing- range is a FUNCTION of velocity. Acceleration due to gravity (Ag) is constant regardless, so what our blasters are doing is propelling these darts to move away from us as fast as possible so that it can cover a lot of horizontal distance in the largely consistent amount of time it takes for the dart to drop straight down. The slower the dart, the less range it covers before gravity pulls it to the ground, etc.

#287872 We Report Range, Why Not Velocity?

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 November 2010 - 08:09 PM in Off Topic

If we're looking for a more accurate way to determine a blaster's power, just shoot straight up. Time how long it takes from launch to landing, and you can work out the physics in that way. Or just do what the rest of us do and measure out your range with a tape measure.

#287798 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 November 2010 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

I did this to my PAC, which admittedly was already dry-fireable. However, the string hitting the slot does appear to cause wear on the string, which doesn't happen anymore. Also, it's even quieter than it was before--The catch falling into place sounds thunderously loud compared to actually firing.
[Pic]
Note the glare is not another string.

So,

1) Make a hole in one side of your stock / frame / shell,
2) Put a string through the hole from 1)
3) Put a hole in the plunger rod
4) Put put the string through the hole from 3)
5) Put a hole on the other side of your stock / frame / shell
6) Put the string through the hole from 5)
7) Tie knots on both sides of the string, outside of holes 1) and 5)
8) Tape over/cover up the loose string if you like.

The impact / shock of the plunger losing it's momentum is now taken symmetrically by the tensile strength of the string and the plunger rod.

This should work on most pump action blasters, and probably a few others. It's nice to use the tensile rather than compressive strength of the material to take the load, because tensile strength is vastly greater for most materials.

Thanks for giving it a shot Kane! Yeah, my little trials with my +bow ruled out the extension spring in about 30 seconds, I do agree with all the rather colorfully worded opinions on that front (in my defense, I used it to limit stress on the nylon rod- I'm anything but experienced with them. Given Kane seems to be doing just fine with an unbuffered string, I guess the whole thing was moot anyway.). My attempt with the bolt was to make the entire mech internal to maintain the aesthetics of the RBP, but function seems to outweigh form here.

So yeah, Kane rocks.

#287700 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 30 October 2010 - 05:22 PM in Homemades

@ Y-brik: That may work, I don't know. Seems a bit over-complicated. Try it and see if it works.

Here's the thing- I don't have a RainBow at the moment and wont be building one soon. I can tinker with it on my +bow, but it wont be as useful. Oh, and how is it overcomplicated? It's a nylon cord and extension spring anchored within the tee that makes the stock.

#287652 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 October 2010 - 04:14 PM in Homemades

@Talio- judging that the PT is 1.25" with a [k26] and skirt seal, +bow or, more accurately, SNAP ranges are the likely result. This design is just sexier, higher RoF, and more durable than a traditional CPT SNAP.

My idea: I've come to the conclusion that plunger head padding sucks. It jams, introduces deadspace, and the material always gets smashed into uselessness. So if slowing the PH down from the front fails, how about from the back? The Rainbowpump has a great platform as the plunger rod is encased in PVC and has a VERY sturdy stock, so on to my sketch. (This was done in my Engineering class, hence the formality, and in hand, hence the shitty drawing/handwriting. Now, let's see if I can post pictures...)
Posted Image

The goal is to stop the PH a fraction of an inch before the bushing. The nylon cord allows full plunger velocity along the draw, then the (beefy) extension spring+cord slows and stops the PH. At the moment, the biggest issue I see is the stress put on the nylon plunger rod, I don't know if it can hold. Still, I trust Ryan and co. have enough time, materials, and skill to try it out- good luck!
This is an initial idea, keep the questions and ideas coming!

#287640 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 October 2010 - 10:14 AM in Homemades

I may have a solution to the dry fire issue (Hint- extension springs and nylon cord). I' m sketching it out now and will try to get it up by tomorrow. Ryan, that blaster is mad sexy, I may have to get one (Discount if this idea works?)!

#287209 Spooky Illinois Foam Fest -- Canceled

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 October 2010 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

Consider me a maybe. Dude, seriously, ZOMBIES!

#286706 Snapbow Mk. V, Revised

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 October 2010 - 10:44 PM in Homemades

By "easily pass the 100' mark" do you mean like by ten feet or by like fifty feet?

Usually by 10; I don't think I've heard of a 150' SNAP yet

#286535 4 Chan, Johnny

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 October 2010 - 10:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Effeminate war!

+Having 2 Stampedes on the field (And do well too! I was glad to be on their team).
+Ring-around-the-treesie (Ended with one of them Stampedes)
+Eliminator with Stampede shield- the greatest in the sub-optimal category
+ Meeting up with my buddies from Cataclysm
+Here's the deal- Wendys was great!
+Used the hell outta my +Bow
+Chronographs are not only neat- they're 133.7!!
+Got 2 legit wyes and clear PVC for less than I expected to pay
+Everyone being cool (Not just because of the weather) about the relocation
+BIGGEST WAR in the region! Woot!

-Relocation.
-Gun breakage. Thank God I brought my electric screwdriver
-Cold and windy! Grab the mobstacles!!
-Lost 80% of my darts
-In-game dart failure. Liquid nails does NOT work on stefans, you hear me Sluggy?
-Had to leave early

#286397 4 Chan, Johnny

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 October 2010 - 11:20 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm still in, sans friends.
Oh, and if the U3 could bring 2 spare hunks of clear 1/2" PVC and some wyes for a certain yBrik, that'd be great.

#286327 Snapbow Mk. V, Revised

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 October 2010 - 06:49 AM in Homemades

Great to see updated Snap writeups!
I have a 1.5" PVC Snap and have one notable updayte- Instead of potentially unreliable E-putty (Mine always crapped out on me), I took a 1.5" endcap and went t town on it with a dremel, creating a PVC catch ramp that fits right where an E-putty ramp would go. It's another option for builders, though a bit more labor intensive.

#286182 Guide To Barrel Material

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 September 2010 - 10:59 PM in Modifications

Responding to question:
Home depot has CPVC. Ask someone or look harder. In my store it's stacked vertically next to the copper pipe. You need CPVC if you want to fire stefans; I don't think anyone has done a PVC singled LS. Oh, and judging by your post quality, the LS may not be the gun for you to mod. Have you even opened the thing? Is it your first mod? If the answers are what I think they are, forget it. Go get a 4B or a NF and learn before you try such a complex mod.

#286171 Nerf Modification Spring Sizes

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 September 2010 - 08:38 PM in Modifications

I'm 90% sure McMaster ships worldwide, so there's your primary source. Cannibalizing other objecs (Nerf or not) is another option, but here's the kicker- go to a few local hardware stores, look in the aisles with all the screws, washers, and other metal doodads, and see if there are springs there!

#286152 Pull-back To Pump-action Conversion - Snap

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 September 2010 - 05:17 PM in Homemades

Thanks durka.

I'm a little perplexed over the apparent lack of interest in this, especially from the more experienced SNAP builders, but whatever.

Maybe they don't like wood.

Naah, that's an east coast thing. I do like this setup, just waiting to see it come to fruition. Oh and Fome, all your shit is so BA it intimidates the rest of us. We're used to plastic, not so much woodcrafting.

#285071 Alpha Trooper Air Restrictor Removal

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 September 2010 - 06:45 AM in Modifications

[/quote]
I have heard that some people use cut down [k26] springs in their raiders. Since the alpha trooper is just a reshelled raider that would probly work.
[/quote]
No. [k26] doesn't fit in any of the Recons (Such a shame...). RFSG springs, however, do.

#283752 Community Snap Thread

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 August 2010 - 03:03 PM in Homemades

While padding the plunger head isn't a bad idea, the worst failures I have ever had with the 3 snaps I made are failures in bonds, not in the PVC material. Also, the coupler/bushing setup found on most snaps seems far more resilient than the single reducing fitting on your (very interesting) harpoon gun.

#283735 4 Chan, Johnny

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 August 2010 - 08:49 AM in Nerf Wars

Given no weird scheduling shit I'm so in, with 2+ friends.

#283689 Hvz Next Gun

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 August 2010 - 06:18 PM in General Nerf

Given the need for quick reload in HvZ, I would recommend the shell-less Barrel Break over the Doubleshot, and the AR and raider over both. If you go clip system, try to keep is consistent so you can swap mags when needed.

#283173 Make Your Own Wye

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 August 2010 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

Props for creativity, but if you just join the far-right 45 to the tee, you have a wye with a direct airflow. Works fantastically with PVC cement!

#282448 Possibly The Simplest Way To Make A Homemade Wye

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 August 2010 - 12:12 AM in Homemades

I've done the same thing with a miter box (tip: stand the tee up vertically when sawing off the 3rd leg- it keeps everything centered best.) and a 45-degree fitting solvent welded together. This setup is fantastic as it's actually cheaper than the base price of a wye (sans shipping), and can be made into other sizes as needed. ALso, I'm finding my wyes work with streamlines, something I understand the Flex versions do not do. Excuse me, I'm off to try to make a 1-piece Chopper fitting.

#282391 Chano 3.5

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 August 2010 - 11:22 AM in Nerf Wars

Gonna check my work schedule today (it's too short notice to request off so here's hoping I get lucky!), and if the stars align I'm totally there, possibly with 1-3 friends!
EDIT: Go figure, the one day that week I work is smack in the middle of the war. So it looks like I'm out for the 14th. 21st anyone?

#280123 A Quick Question

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 July 2010 - 11:55 PM in Modifications

4.5" is really small for such a large plunger as the 3B; I recommend trying longer barrels (My [k26] 3B has a 12"). A spring addition/replacement is ideal, and definitely double check the seal- both on the plunger head and also on the joint where the PT meets the coupler part.

#280117 Lanard Shotgun Problem

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 July 2010 - 11:25 PM in Modifications

I would like to mention that I have had a similar problem on my own shotgun (Airzone variant actually; singled), as well as my friend's (Also Airzone; turreted). In both cases the catch, even reinforced with both BW's mod and an additional catch spring added (From the LS stock I believe) the catch was unable to hold anything more powerful than a 1gen LS spring (even less than the stock spring for the shotgun!)

#280069 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 July 2010 - 05:12 PM in Homemades

First post!
Posted Image
My adapted SNAP. Features 1.5" PVC plunger tube, new (To my knowledge) handle mount, and easy field stripping thanks to the way the stock is screwed onto the endcap. The gun field strips with 2 screws- there's only 4 total (not counting the stock).
Posted Image
The handle slots onto ridges cut into the PVC (This is one of the reasons it uses 1.5" PVC; 1.25" PVC is just too small. The slots are measured out to accept a LSFG handle, but mine broke (Damn you China!) and the PVC one serves me well.

Posted Image
8 round RSCB attachment with tacticool flashlight E-taped on. Stupid Windows photo gallery made the stock look crooked; it's not.
Ranges are ROUGHLY measured at 100'+